• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 1861 Enfield Musketoon Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musket2

Pilgrim
Reaction score

Saw a nice one today at the gun shop, 58 caliber barrel length, about 24". It's appears to be very well made and in great condition. Somewhere on the web I believe I saw these were made in Brazil

Several questions for those of you who might be familiar with the item.

What is the twist likely to be? I don't know the age of this musket but have read that some makers of reproduction muzzleloaders changed the twist on their models from one year to the next. If the twist is 1:48 (as the shop owner suggested it might be), what kind of groups might I expect at 50 and 100 yards with round ball driven by real blackpowder?

In my limited experience with muzzleloading guns, I've always removed the barrel for hot-water flush cleaning. Having a tang screw and two brass barrel bands, I could understand that removing the barrel on this Lyman musketoon might involve complications with returning the barrel and bands to the same tension as before cleaning. What's the most sensible procedure here for cleaning?

Look forward to your responses. Feel free to address any issues I might not have mentioned here.

Back