• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 45 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I picked up a Lyman in a 45 per.Just wondering how many of these are around and aprox. when they were made.It is 15/16 across the flats and 28".It has a patch box that almost reminds me of a "gate" pattern.Ser.# is 2xx and all numbers on barrel,stock,and tang match.I haven't checked the twist yet but the rifling has about 13 lands.Very good shape but didn't have the origional rod.Came with fiberglass rod 4" too long but I will make a aluminum one.Any info helpful.Was $150 too much!

410-er said:
Came with fiberglass rod 4" too long but I will make a aluminum one.Any info helpful.Was $150 too much!

I would thinks thats a fair price if it's in fair shape. As for the fiberglass rod I would stay with it or go with a brass ram rod. Aluminum is a poor choice for a ram rod or clening rod in my opinion. I have seen Aluminum rods damage barrels crowns.

How does it look like, a kind of Lyman trade rifle with a big brass patchbox?
If so it is the Investarm/Lyman Hawken rifle. A good and reliable straight shooter. Twist is 1in 48''. So you can use it with conicals and PRB. But .45 are not so commom in the
US, aren't they?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Barrel is marked "Lyman Middlefield Conn." on top.Left side "Black Powder Only".Under that "Made In Italy".No caliber numbers stamped on barrel.One guy at work said he thinks it was some kind of proto type and thought only 500 were made.

Wish I could do pics.Computer is old.Guy at work told me he had one in the 70's.Said it was a "Plains Rifle".Lyman confirmed that today.Said the only info they have was it was a "Plains Trade Rifle" made till 1980.Rifling looks shallow compaired to my GPR's.Will try RB's but have a feeling it will like conicals.

So I think I know the rifle when it is the "Plains Rifle".

Good shooting. :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

It is listed in my 1974 Guns And Ammo Black Powder book. Lyman Plains rifle, .45 cal. 28" barrel, double set triggers. It has a big square brass patchbox on it? It was the predocessor to the Great Plains Rifle.

That sounds like it.Big patch box that looks like a gate.Guy at work said he paid $130 new in 1974.Any idea the first year they were made?The ser. # is 2xx.With only 3 nubers I figure it was fairly early.

Not sure of the first year, the oldest book ihave is '74. Send an e-mail to Lyman and ask them. They should be able to tell you.

410-er said:
Today I picked up a Lyman in a 45 per.Just wondering how many of these are around and aprox. when they were made.It is 15/16 across the flats and 28".It has a patch box that almost reminds me of a "gate" pattern.Ser.# is 2xx and all numbers on barrel,stock,and tang match.I haven't checked the twist yet but the rifling has about 13 lands.Very good shape but didn't have the origional rod.Came with fiberglass rod 4" too long but I will make a aluminum one.Any info helpful.Was $150 too much!
does it look like this one,if it does then it was more than likely made by ransum of italy they were taken over by investarms.
bernie :thumbsup:
100_4167.jpg

IMG-23.jpg

Behind the "Made in Italy" "Black Powder Only" stamp is a stamp that kinda looks like a big eyed alien and under that a rectangular box with the letters "MAV".

yes it is a 50 and it shoots prb .take your barrel out and look underneth like the pic of mine
bernie :thumbsup:
100_4734.jpg

Hacksaw said:
410-er said:
Came with fiberglass rod 4" too long but I will make a aluminum one.Any info helpful.Was $150 too much!

I would thinks thats a fair price if it's in fair shape. As for the fiberglass rod I would stay with it or go with a brass ram rod. Aluminum is a poor choice for a ram rod or clening rod in my opinion. I have seen Aluminum rods damage barrels crowns.
i always thought that a fiberglass rod was a bad choice also :confused:

YOU CAN BUY A DELRIN MUZZLE PROTECTOR FOR ANY CLEANING ROD FROM MOST SUPPLIERS. The reason to use a hickory cleaning rod in the gun is because it is both traditional( you expected something else on this forum?) and wood does not damage the barrel or muzzle, UNLESS you leave it dirty and allow grit to imbed into the wood. The silicon grit WILL damage the muzzle over time.

The old, 19th and 18th century barrels that you see with the worn muzzles are almost always made of soft iron, and not steel. Steel does resist wear much better, but noting can resist hard silicates working on them like sand paper over time. I have seen some shooters putting dirty ramrods back in the ferrules of their rifles, and never cleaning the rods. ( I have checked the guns before they started shooting the next time they get out to the range.) I guess they think their hands will get dirty( ier) if they clean rod. But, then, they don't exactly clean the gun very well, either. About a year after they begin, the gun starts having hickups, and they start complaining about how the gun just doesn't shoot any more. When you check the guns, you can see what neglect does to a fine gun. Clean the gun, and clean the rod after each use. Cleaning patches are a lot cheaper than a new barrel.

two-bellys said:
Hacksaw said:
410-er said:

i always thought that a fiberglass rod was a bad choice also :confused:
two-bellys any kind of cleaning rod or ram rod can harm a barrel if used improper. I have found that aluminum rods nick easy and if you have a burr hanging out,unnoticed it can put a big gouge some where in the barrel. People think aluminum is soft and won't and can't hurt steel. I know from experince. I like the coated steel cleaning rods for my center fires and brass, fiberglass for BP.I agree with Paul. I like wood also but had one brake. My pinky finger got a hole thru it. I was lucky. My opinion. Have a good day two-bellys :)

Aluminum is a very active metal and whether treated by the factory, or just sitting somewhere it will develop a coating of Aluminum Oxide on its surface.

Aluminum Oxide is the extremely hard material that some grinding wheels and sand paper is made from.

IMO, if it is used with a muzzle guide to keep it centered in the bore it is no worse than fiberglass, steel or dirty wood all of which can damage the muzzle.

zonie :)

Back