• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 45 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a darn nice looking gun! I have one just like it & had used roundballs in it and found it more accurate when it had the original pitted.45 barrel than after I replaced it with a green mountain .54 cal barrel.

After being dissatisfied with the .54 green mountain barrel & after disposing of the original, I lined the barrel to .44 cal.(.420 bore, .429 groove) w/ 1:24 twist to take a 377 gr. prerifled glued on paperpatched bullet of my own manufacture (mold, sizind die & prerifling die)

Now it shoots as good as it looks - 7 shots in 2" @ 100 yds (best so far)

At the time it was sold I believe it was worth more than a T/C Hawken. I have both and would consider the Plains a better gun.

P8042576.jpg

Tell me more about that rear sight and how you mounted it 410. I've currently got the Lyman receiver sight mounted on one of my GPRs, and am not happy with the bulk or location.

I didn't change the rear site.Looks factory on this Plains Rifle.My other GPR's I took the screw out of the adj. site and put Loc-Tite on threads then turned down against so it won't move and filed front site.Have the nonadj. site but liked the looks of the buckhorn site.

Back