• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As I was running low on .530 dia balls to feed my toys, I went to one of the few gunshops that sells muzzleloading stuff here in Phoenix.
In addition to 200 balls I bought the Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL 2nd Ed.

I have seen this book and the 1st Ed., but never bought one.

I can say, to anyone who is interested in Muzzleloading, or thinks they might become interested in Muzzleloading, You should have this book.
It set me back about $20, but IMO it is worth the price of admission.

About 1/2 of the book deals with the guns, shooting, cleaning, accouterments, casting bullets, and about anything else you would want to know. It was written by Sam Fadala, and IMO he did a good job of it.
Of course, it can't go into real depth on many things like we do here on this web site, but for introductory information its well worth having.

The other half of the book lists loads for round ball, bullets, and sabots.
It is broken down into loads by caliber, twist rates, barrel lengths, powder types and projectile types. It ranges from .32 roundball in a 26 inch, 1:66 twist barrel thru .75 caliber smoothbore shooting round balls, with slugs and sabots sprinkled in between.
Also covered are muzzleloading pistol, Cap and Ball pistol, Black Powder cartridge and shotgun loads.
In other words, it has a LOT of information.

Being a nerd type (Engineering Designer) I found the velocity and pressure information interesting.
For instance, did you know for a .50 cal rifle shooting a .490 ball thru a 32 inch barrel with a 1:66 twist and a .015 patch, the pressures and velocity for a 100 grain powder load are: Goex FFg =9900 PSI V=1842, Goex FFFg =12700 PSI V=1949, Pyrodex RS =13000 PSI V=1839, Pyrodex Select =14300 PSI V=1789 and Pyrodex P =14000 PSI v=1830 FPS.

For those of you who like to take things to the factory max., for this same gun, 120 grains of powder gives the following pressures and velocity: Goex FFg =11500 PSI V=1991, Goex FFFg = 16800 PSI V=2045 Pyro RS =17600 PSI V=2033 Pyro Select =16100 PSI V=1991 and Pyro P =16500 PSI V=2018.

Additional food for thought: with the same test barrel as mentioned above, between 50 grains and 100 grains of Goex FFg, each additional 10 grains of powder adds about 600 PSI pressure in the barrel.
Each 10 grains of Goex FFFg powder between 50 and 80 adds about 1000 PSI, but from 80 thru 120, it adds about 400 PSI.

With Pyro RS, each 10 grains of powder between 60 and 120 adds about 1000 PSI.

Anyway, it is a very interesting book and for anyone interested in more than "what is the maximum I can load in my rifle" it is well worth having. :) :) :front:

I too have the Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK, (first edition), it's a wealth of information to have at your finger tips...

I have always said & still say, if you are getting into BP, THAT book is the first thing you need & a must. No it nor any other book tells all.. but it is a Hecck of a good start ! :thumbsup:

I have always said & still say, if you are getting into BP, THAT book is the first thing you need & a must. No it nor any other book tells all.. but it is a Hecck of a good start ! :thumbsup:

I have two copies of the first edition, both were used when I bought them...I've held off buying the second edition as I assumed it would mostly be a rehash of the same info...now you've got me interested in a 2nd edition...I'll sell one of my 1st editons if anybody wants one, send PM

It was the first black powder book that I bought many years ago. I picked it up because I could not figure out how to get the cylinder out of the 1851 Navy I picked up at a gun show.

It still has the price tag on it from Laramie Sporting Goods for $4.95. I just looked inside and see that it has my first rifle listed. It was a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter. The article on big game hunting in Africa convinced me to get it.

I have both the 1st and 2nd edition. I enjoy them and have them around for research. However, nowhere in either books is there an adequate explanation for the Demons who ride atop of the ball and scream and it is shot from the barrel. You'd think with man in space, cloning and modern computers we'd would by now know why it does that.

However, nowhere in either books is there an adequate explanation for the Demons who ride atop of the ball and scream and it is shot from the barrel.

Gary, were you helping Ghost waterproof his tent again?

I told you to wear respirators...

However, nowhere in either books is there an adequate explanation for the Demons who ride atop of the ball and scream and it is shot from the barrel.

Gary, were you helping Ghost waterproof his tent again?

I told you to wear respirators...

Musketman - you crack me up! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I have both the 1st and 2nd edition.

Gary, now that you have them both, is there enough different, useable material in the second one to justify buying the second edition...anything unique, etc?

Just hate to buy yet another BP manual, thumb through it one time, then lay it on the shelf with all the others

Gary, now that you have them both, is there enough different, useable material in the second one to justify buying the second edition...anything unique, etc?

Just hate to buy yet another BP manual, thumb through it one time, then lay it on the shelf with all the others

Good point, worse yet, to buy the next edition only to find its exactly what you already own...

Sure, many things will be the same, but it should have some updated data...

Good point, worse yet, to buy the next edition only to find its exactly what you already own...

Sure, many things will be the same, but it should have some updated data...

Right...and since the entire inline industry and products have all come on the scene since the first edition, if that's really the bulk of any updated material, I wouldn't want to buy it...been there, done that...I already use flintlocks, real flints, Goex BP, borebutter, pillow ticking patches, and lead balls...just curious what other major component there might be that would make it worth buying...I know it's not a ton of money, but it's a few boxes of balls, particularly if I don't use it
::

Durned iffen Ah knows.
It are copyrighted 2001 by Lyman
It has a Item # 9827100
an a UPC # 011516971005
Those are the only numbers I see.

As for the powders it uses, I think the author has a sense of humor. It describes loads for Goex FFg, FFFg, Pyrodex RS, Select and P, and ELEPHANT FFg and FFFg. :) (How were they to know??) Oh, surprise...surprise. The Elephant loads produce a lot less pressure and velocity than equal Goex loads.
Too bad they didn't include some Swiss loads. Now that would be interesting!!
It also has some loads with Pyro 50 grain pellets.

I've heard that the First issue listed some hotter loads. Do any of you who have both books find that to be true?
Almost all of the rifle loads max out at 120 grains. An exception to this is the .58 cal loads which go up to 140 grains.

Zonie: If that book is 2001, it should have an ISBN number. Please double check the Copyright page. Sometimes the ISBN number is the next page after the Copyright page. The ISBN number is the same as a serial number or vin number on a vehicle. The ISBN will always be in caps.

ISBN #-####-####-#. Somewhat like that. Sometimes it may contain a Letter or two. But always will be identified my these caps: ISBN

Hope that helps. Let me know if ya find it.

Thanks, Cat9

Well, what can I say?
No ISBN number.

It didn't seem like the price was such a great deal, so I didn't suspect that I might be buying a hot book.
Do you think someone might have removed the rivets and pried the number off of the page with the Copyright date on it?? It was not on the cover, the back page, the Front cover or the Title Page either!! It was not in or behind the Index...strange, I say!

Not trusting ole Zonie's college degree(s) or his memory, I asked my wife (who was a straight A student in college, majoring in Drama and English Lit) to find it.
The dirty thieves did such a good job at removing it that she couldn't find it either.

Now, I'm wondering if the Phoenix Public Library will be knocking on my door at 3AM with a warrent. :shocking:

Oh! My God!! You don't suppose this is some illegal printing from China do you? I'm only 300 miles or so from Mexico. They could have smuggled it in right thru that big hole in the fence. And to think that my local Gun Shop might be in kahoots with....them . :shocking: :shocking:

Hopefully, you all took this with the humor it was written with. :thumbsup:

I have both editions. No ISBN number on either one. The first edition did show some much heavier charges. Would you believe 200 grains of Goex 3F and a round ball out of a 28" barrel 1/66 twist .50 caliber getting only 2071 fps with 13,540 CUP? The second edition has the 28" .50 cal 1/48 with same ball but 120 grains Goex 3F getting 2015 fps with 10,800 psi. I think this is a different pressure measuring system. New book has a lot of loads above 20,000 PSI, some up to 28 and 29,000. But it does not have any .40 caliber loads, while the first had some.

Well I have the second edition, and wouldn't mind havin' a first edition. However, I'm not lookin' to pay auction prices for one. If'n anyone wants to swap lemme know. :thanks:

:crackup: :crackup:

Good post Zonie. I'm always in for a good laugh. Thanks for double checking on the ISBN #. Thanks for posting about the book. This Old Cat will check the alleys for it.

Mean while, keep your powder dry and watch your six!

Cat9

"And the cat curls up in the lazy boy and catches a nap."
:hatsoff:

There is not an ISBN # on the book just an item and UPC #. If I am not mistaken I have even seen a 3rd edition at Barnes and Noble. I think it had an expanded BP cartridge section, but I don't really understand the need to expand on making a paper cartridge anyway. :crackup:

Back