• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keepontrying

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had a Lyman GPR 50 for about a year. I notice when the frizzen is closedmit does not close tightly against the pan. The Pan powder will leak out of the pan very easily. Is this normal? If it is normal for a Lyman, is it supposed to not fit the pan better? What possible solutions are there?

Thanks,

Ron

Mine leaks too, but the leak is between the pan cover and the side of the barrel. I use 4fg prime which is fine enough to leak. I'm sure 3fg is course enough not leak.
I think if I deepened the lock mortise that would close the gap.
My pan cover does fit tight enough to stop leaking around the other three sides.

Chuck Dixon at Dixon Muzzleloading shop can discuss a fix for that. He is/was a Lyman factory service center, and has resolved 2 Lymans for me.

Make sure the bottom of the frizzen is clean - crud builds-up under there.
Trap a piece of thin paper between the frizzen and pan - locate where the paper is getting pinched and sand those points down to an acceptable level.
Using back light also works to locate the contact points and puts the gap in perspective.
My gap is .007", with a couple of touch points to the inside.

I also had this problem and chased the fix to the contact of the frizzen to the spring.
By taking the spring off you could get a tight seal to the pan, but with the spring installed it had gaps. I did some very light file work on the frizzen where it contacts to the spring and all is fine now.
Pete

Thanks for the respones. I will have to take a closer look at the frizzen. It is a good sparker as it is. It would be nice if the pan powder would stay in the pan.

Latest posts

Back