• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR "cleanout plug" question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Mucus

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, I removed the cleanout plug for the first time clean of my new GPR..... how far should I screw it back in and should I use a drop of blue Loctite or just molly grease?

Thanks,
MM :redface:

Mad Mucus said:
...blue Loctite....

Never! The moly is fine. I'd worry about seizing it up even with the blue stuff.

I've found something interesting in our several GPR's. If you install the nipple first, the cleanout screw appears to come up against it and stop. That's always made me worry that if you install the cleanout screw first, it's possible to get it deep enough to interfere with installing the nipple deep enough.

Sooooo, it's nipple first, moly, cleanout screw till it stops. I've always figured that was standard since all I've seen do it, but I'm ready to be educated that there's something different out there. I guess if it didn't stop at the nipple, I'd just take it down flush.

About 20 cleanings into my GPR, I know how much to screw it down and not hit the nipple. Neither moves on me. Anti seize or nipple grease is what I put on the clean out screw.

all of mine stop at a certain distance as they are threaded into place, mine will only go in so far and I put nothing on it except a drop of Rem oil.

Do not ever remove the so called clean out nipple. It is not there to be removed and cleaned out. It is there strictly to aid in the initial manufacturing of the snail.

I find that it is much easier to clean the patent breech with a pipe cleaner through the cleanout screw hole. And as above I replace it after the nipple with a bit of anti seize grease and am careful to not over tighten. I always thought that it was there for that reason.

When I shoot percussion locks, I don't remove the so called clean out screw. As is said, it is a manufacturing aid to drill the touch hole to the powder chamber. It is only called a "clean-out" bolt to "explain" why it is there.

Grenadier1758 said:
It is only called a "clean-out" bolt to "explain" why it is there.

It's the perfect explanation for me! :rotf:

If it wasn't there, I'd wish it was. Been using mine for over decade with zero problems, but lots of reasons to be glad I have it. Dunno where the "don't remove it" comes from, but if it bothers a guy so much he oughta take it out once and have the hole welded over so he could feel better about it.

Well in my new to me rifle that I just received. I had to remove it to clean the build up in that area, it was so clogged with residue that no way a spark could have made it to the powder.
I guess the PO followed Mr. Grenedier's philosophy.

Latest posts

Back