• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Hunter goes "crunch" not "bang"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I am shooting a .50 Lyman Great Plains Hunter with CCI Magnum #11 percussion caps on an aftermarket stainless steel nipple, with 90 grains of FFG. During my most recent range day, 4 of the 11 shots went "crunch" not "bang". The shots then fired when I recocked and shot again. Groups are phenomenal, but I'd like more consistency on ignition. Do you have any advice to make those percussion caps go "bang"? Thanks.

Perhaps the caps are not seating all the way down on the new nipples. The first strike of the cock drives the cap on all the way. The second strikes sets it off.
I carry a short section of a dowel to push the cap so it is seated.
Ron

I have noticed that CCI caps are just a smooch smaller than Remington caps, are you sure they are seating fully on the nipple? When I had a similar problem, I had to dress the end of the nipple so the CCI caps slipped on and bottomed.

Take the lock out clean it and lube it.
Then when you put it back in,, that screw that holds the lock in doesn't have to be gorilla tight,, just lightly snug.

garra said:
I have noticed that CCI caps are just a smooch smaller than Remington caps, are you sure they are seating fully on the nipple? When I had a similar problem, I had to dress the end of the nipple so the CCI caps slipped on and bottomed.

Zackly my experience with Lyman nipples. Either dress them down, replace them, or move on to Remington or other caps.

Remington #10 caps on Treso nipples..... never had a misfire on my Lyman GPR .54 or my Ruger Old Army .45 revolvers.
:thumbsup:
Be sure to seat them properly

I had a the same problem once. I too switched to Remington #10 caps. The poblem went away. Good luck. :v

along with what the others said.
Look inside the hammer cup.
sometimes an old cap will get stuck inside.
peel it out.
Also look how the hammer is striking the nipple
flat and square and centered.

I've had CCI caps that needed a second strike to go off even when fully seated if the gun had a smaller, lightweight hammer. I use nothing but Remington caps now.

Mad Mucus said:
Remington #10 caps on Treso nipples..... never had a misfire on my Lyman GPR .54 or my Ruger Old Army .45 revolvers.
:thumbsup:
Be sure to seat them properly
Yea, I prefer Remington caps for that reason too, along with Treso bronze nipples on all my cap guns.

"Zackly my experience with Lyman nipples."

My factory Lyman Deerstalker eats everything I've fed it whereas my Ruger was quite finicky taking only Rem #10's, though non magnum CCI #11's are supposed to work (Track of The Wolf nipples).

I started to experience the same problem. I noticed the top of the nipple had expanded slightly - due to dry firing? Anyway, I got a small file and gently filed around the top of the nipple and the problem was solved.

Chuck the nipple in an electric drill of drillpress start it spinning and lightly touch it with a file. Problem solved!

I replaced the standard nipple on my Lyman GPH with a musket cap nipple. Twelve shots, six "snaps" not "bang". I'm thinking there might be something more challenging than simply a question of cap size. Should I have a gunsmith pull the breechplug? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The musket caps may be too big for the hammer face/cup. I use Remington caps on hotshot nipples. Seat them firmly on the nipple. Never fail to fire. Your problem is not uncommon. Make sure that hammer lines up perfectly centre and flush on the nipple.

the breech plug is not going to have anything to do with your cap not popping. you either have some bad caps or your nipple/hammer has a problem. if the hammer is hitting hard and on the mark its either the nipple face or the caps. i use cci and have never had a problem. i had a tin of them that had been put back that i found in the bottom of one of my bags, they had to be over 20 years old and they still work fine. do like the others said check your nipple and make sure the cap gets seated.

Every post so far is advice that should be heeded. Check everything. Nipple may be too large or bashed on the end. Nipples are disposable items, buy a Hot Shot style and try. You didn't mention it, but I sure hope you reseated the ball after your "crunch" misfires. A cap alone can move a ball when fired.

are you saying the caps are firing or are they misfiring. if the caps are firing and the gun is not firing you need to clean extra good and make sure its bone dry before you load and pop a few caps before you load. after you clean and dry before you put the nipple back on blow through the barrel and make sure you get plenty air flow. if you have a air compressor and a air gun use it to blow through the hole the nipple screws into. after you shoot it be careful and dont push fouling back into the breach, it dont take but a small crumb of that stuff to plug up a nipple channel. if you pop a cap and the gun does not fire remove the nipple and take a small wire and clear the channel and try it again if the gun fires after the wire cleaning you know your pushing fouling and stopping it up.

Back