• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokepole tc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking of setting one of these guns up with peep sight for those who shoot one suggestions on loads and bullets it will be a flintlock. Thanks

Assuming you want the Great Plains Hunter's fast twist for use with a conical bullet, I have had excellent groups using the home-cast Lyman 395 gr "Great Plains" bullet over a lubed wonder wad. Using 90 grs of 3F, I am getting one ragged hole dead on at 50 yards, and 2-3" groups that are 6" low at 100 yards.

How is the trigger pull? Can someone suggest a drop in single trigger? I think the set trigger has a drop in (Davis deerslayer?), but I would like a single trigger- possibly a set trigger.

You can use the GPR front trigger as a single trigger and the pull is excellent on mine. I diamond hone all surfaces and lube with a dry moly lube burnished into the pores. You don't need to be quite as elaborate ... and all I've ever handled have had very good to excellent triggers; more so for being non-custom but production arms.

Latest posts

Back