• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains or trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Lyman GPR I like it,,heavy ,shoots better than I can for the most part!!!!Good looking,nice wood to metal fit.NO brass,,

fwiw, i'm more partiaL to the overall look and feel of a GPR over a trade gun.

one guy's opinion - free and doubtless well worth the price.

(by the way, I'd go with a .54 if that's the option)

once you get the gun, get a copy of Dutch Schoultz' method - this will make you a much better marksman, and he guarantees it - how cool is that?

here's a link:
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

you'll need a bunch of other stuff, too (that's how one is sucked into this hobby ... sorta like the free guinea pig, then you buy the cage and the food and the watering gadget and the toy and the tray liners and the wood chips, and you leave the pet store with your free pet that cost a hundred bucks)

enjoy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say go someplace where you can shoulder both so you can figure out which one feels better to you. BUT, having said that, I have 4 GPRs and no Trade Rifles (or anything with the geometry of the Trade Rifle, like a TC hawken, CVA hawken, etc.) Those rifles shoot great too, but they slap my cheek when loaded up a bit. It isn't the guns problem, but rather a me problem, but it is one that the GPR doesn't have. The downside is the added weight and lenght of the GPR, but they're really not problems at all if you think about it. I mean, the weight is minor and helps keep the gun steady, so it's a help. And the extra 4 inches of barrel lenght (GPR = 32") over the Trade Rifle (28") just means 2 inches extra on each end when carrying it, and that means absolutely nothing unless you're hunting from a cramped modern blind. Also, as others have said, go with the .54 no matter which one you choose. It makes for a better balanced and less muzzle-heavy rifle.

hands down the gpr in 54 wit :thumbsup: h slow twist barrel is the best on the market.

oneshot 52 said:
Looking for help going to buy one never had a lyman any suggestions Thanks

My advice is to handle both guns in a store and see which you prefer .
The trade rifle has a faster twist rate and will be better for conical bullets also the barrel is shorter and will be handier to carry in the field ..54 cal would be my preference for a hunting rifle in terms of killing power and being a lighter gun .
Some people have had luck with Lymans and love them , others like myself haven't had much luck at all and have had to modify the guns to make them reliable and accurate shooters .
This my review of my GPR , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ro3kB34M4&t=583s

This is a review of a Deerstalker rifle by William Hovey Smith , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvYElK2EUas
[ I think this guy is great !]

As you will notice we both had similar problems with our rifles and had to take a similar approach to fixing them .
You may be luckier .
My advise would be to look closely at both rifles and check out their function and how they feel at your shoulder .
You might also consider looking at a Pedersoli gun , I have three of different types and they have been excellent .
Hope this helps .
Happy shooting .

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am the odd one out. I prefer the Trade rifle, it handles and carries better for me, and I prefer a single trigger in a hunting rifle. I would definitely agree that you should handle both if you can. Do you want it for hunting or target shooting? That may make a difference in your decision.

Just so you know.......... Investarms makes the muzzleloaders for Lyman. I own a GPR in .54 cal and a Richland Arms Hawken in .50 cal. The Richland Arms gun was also made by Investarms. There is a difference in stock fit between the Trade a Rifle and the GPR. I would shoulder both and see which fits your body style best. I like the looks of the GPR best but had to lace up a leather cheek piece on mine to make it fit well for me. All the Investarms guns are well made in my opinion. Greg. :)

My name is Penny. :slap: Mine too!
With apologies, that's my two cents.

Flint62Smoothie summed it all up.

Trot said:
I guess I am the odd one out. I prefer the Trade rifle, it handles and carries better for me, and I prefer a single trigger in a hunting rifle. I would definitely agree that you should handle both if you can. Do you want it for hunting or target shooting? That may make a difference in your decision.
+1, but agree, its what fits you the best and what you like.

I own a 54 cal LH GPR flintlock. I fires reliably, shoots very accurately, and readily accept a lyman 57 peep sight if you so desire to have one.

I got the 1 in 66 twist and only shoot roundball. I prefer the 54 cal, because the bigger bore lightens it up. I wish it didn't have a crescent stock, but I still shoot it ok. Every now and then the corner pinches me when I wear light clothing.

However, the lyman trade rifle has a few advantages....

The barrel is a touch shorter, so it's a bit handier to hold. Although I have handled my gun still hunting all day just ok.

I believe it has a more flatter butt profile, so some may like that more.

Finally, I prefer a gun with a single trigger. I have lost 2 opportunities to shoot a deer because I didn't set the trigger. I could see a stock lyman lock a little cleaned up shoot just nicely without a set trigger.

My next gun will be a custom one.

However, I do regret buying a T/C Renegade in RH as my "loaner gun" to friends. Wish it was a lyman trade rifle.

Either one beats a T/C any day in my book.

I bought the Deerstalker model with the single trigger and it's a nice trigger and lock. I also picked up a Trade barrel for it on clearance quite cheap. I also don't like the big cheek piece on the Deerstalker; it's ok but it adds weight that isn't necessary. Now I am not deep enough into load development with either barrel but so far it's not giving me the patched ball accuracy I was expecting with heavier hunting charges. It is a tack driver with light loads though. Hoping some 3f will get the group size down and some flatter trajectory. Doesn't seem to like 2f much so far. I bought it to play with the 1/48 twist; so far not real impressed.

It might shoot the conical bullets well but I haven't gotten the chance to try them yet. The extra stock weight and the rubber recoil pad may come in handy with those 425 grain slugs. 5" groups at 100 don't hold my interest long. She may end up going down the road if I can't get a powerful load dialed in.

I never cared for brass on a rifle so the Trade rifle didn't appeal to me and the Great Plains was heavy and I like a straight butt plate vs. a curved one.

I have the Lyman GPR in .50. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the .54. Never the less, it's a great shooter. Very accurate if you do your part.

The modifications that I made on mine was to replace the adjustable sight with a fixed one. Also installed a set of Davis Deerslayer triggers on mine which made it a completely different rifle when it came to my accuracy.

Overall, the GPR is an excellent production rifle, and is extremely accurate!

Also own the Deerstalker in .54 and a Cabela Hawken made by Investarm which is pretty close to being the Trade Rifle with the exception of having a different shape trigger guard.It's a .50.

My pick is still the GPR!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

I have owned both the .54 GPR and the .50 LTR. The GPR is the the most comfortable, quick to sight and fire weapon I have ever put to my shoulder. The LTR is also a good rifle. Each is probably the best rifle made for its price. My only complaint is the walnut used is not the tight grained walnut I am accustomed to on other rifles. With Thompson Center wood they would be perfect! I recommend The GPR if you can afford it and the LTR if price is an issue. You will enjoy either rifle. Best of luck! - John :thumbsup:

You might also consider getting the GPR kit. You can then brown the barrel and furniture for a truly awsome look! - John

Back