• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman \ Investarms GP lock disassembly?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Sikes

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am antiquing this kit andI want to plum brown the lock and hammer but cannot find any instructions as to how to disassemble it. Any help
is greatly appreciated

I used a pipe cleaner to remove the spring. Everything else is screwed together.
Look up T/C lock disassembly

Hammer completely down, less spring tension. I highly recommend doing it over a baking pan with a towel or rag in it, keeps small screws from bouncing for miles. Not a lot of parts, but some small important ones.
Also, get a decent screwdriver set with bits that actually fit the screw heads, you will save more time and headache.

Proving to be a bit more difficult than it appeared. Screws and sear come out fine but how to remove the long spring and inside pin plus the hammer, can’t figure out

Look up taking apart a T/C lock. Use a pipe cleaner wrapped around the pin to compress the spring, that should come out first

Do as @CTShooter says and remove the spring first. Remove the bridle, sear spring, and sear. Remove the screw from the hammer. Now find a socket that the tumbler will fit inside without touching, place the base of the socket on a vise or hard surface, use or make a square punch that fits inside the tumbler arbor in the hammer, one that won’t slip into the threads. Hold the lock and punch in place on the socket and give the punch a firm hit with a hammer, just firm, not crushing. The tumbler will fall right out into the socket. If there’s a fly on your tumbler, remove it and store safely before removing the tumbler.

Waarp8nt posted pictures of the process a while back. Believe they are in the gun builder section.

Back