• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone have one of these? just wondering about the quality and accuracy of these pistols

I bought a 50 caliber percussion Lyman's Plains Pistol last January. Nice gun, it has turned into one of my favorites. Very accurate. I've read a lot of good things about them and wasn't dissapointed. Illinois will only let me use it for our new 3rd season, so I have to wait until january to see how it does deer hunting. Target shooting with it is a hoot though.

Am building one as a kit, that I got 3 days ago. I had another one about 8 years ago and was well pleased, but like a dumb a--, I sold it. You won't regret buying yours!

Very good pistol. Accurate, reliable and durable. They're a great deal for the price also. If you're interested in the kit version, it builds easily. I build one years back and everything fit flawlessly.

tripleh said:
Anyone have one of these? just wondering about the quality and accuracy of these pistols

Mine was also bought as a kit, and as a companion to a Lyman GPR rifle I already had. (the pistol was of course a .54cal - same as the rifle). Anyway, the gun was so well pre-fitted at the factory that you could almost just put it together and go shootingl BUt the 6 weeks or so that I took to finish the wood and polish everything up was well worth it. I also browned the barrel and harware.

This is the only single shot pistol that I ever had that I thought was worth twice what the retail price was. Along with the GPR, it would be the last muzzleloading gun(s) that I would ever get rid of...

It may not be the most authentic or period correct piece out there, but for a mass produced gun, it's sure a good feelin', good shootin' hunk of gun. The manual's listed maximum charge is kind of on the "light-weight" side of things. While I won't recommend that anyone exceed it... I "proof tested" my Plains Pistol ( and GPR) and both went far far beyond what would be considered as prudent. I still think the safety margin is more than acceptable--even with my heavier loads--which I will not repeat here. I'm sure you understand why.

Regards, and good choice for a pistol!
WV_Hillbilly

PS Don't wait too long, the prices are only going to go UP, UP, UP!

I am waiting on a 54 as we speak. Been wanting one for a long time. Was hoping for a 50 but when the gent said he would part with his 54, I had to jump on it.

Hoping to use it on both deer and hogs later this season.

Hah, I was the other way around. Wanted a .54 but could only find a .50. All my rifles at the time were .54's. I sold the pistol to a friend cheap, only to end up with .50 rifles later on! One big lesson I learned is never sell a gun! :haha:

FVR said:
I am waiting on a 54 as we speak. Been wanting one for a long time. Was hoping for a 50 but when the gent said he would part with his 54, I had to jump on it.

Hoping to use it on both deer and hogs later this season.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed with any aspect with the .54cal Lyman Plains Pistol. That extra weight from the larger diameter ball can only help you for hunting purposes. Oddly Lyman doesn't recommend the use of any conicals in that pistol and it's even got a suitable twist of 1:30, which ought to let it shoot conicals very well. Never could figure that out...

Regards, and make sure to give us a nice report,
WV_Hillbilly

I have one I bought in 54 cal. I also went to Midsouth on the web and got a 50 cal barrel for it. So no matter which rifle I am using mt pistol is in matching cal. I am very happy with mine.
Old Charlie

my 50 is real accurate
lyman25offhand.JPG

lyman25oh.jpg

the left side of the barrel is covered with literature about investarms , using black powder only, etc. If you get a kit, you can draw file that stuff off and brown it

I have been interested in purchasing one of these pistols for a long time. Everything that I have read speaks of using 3F powder. Can I safely use 2F? I shoot 2F in my Lyman .50 GPR and I would like to only have to carry one horn of powder in the field. What is the recommended load in 3F and does anyone know the equivalent of that for 2F? Thanks in advance.

I have a .50 calibre GPP.I have had her for going on 12 years and never had a fit w/ her.At the time I bought it I called Lyman and the woman I spoke w/ told me the max. charge was 60 grains of 3f.Well,good enough for me!That is the load I tend to use.Now, when I do fire it there is a substantial fireball at muzzle and it kicks like a .357 magnum or even a .44 magnum.It uses the .495 PRB.I have considered toning down the charge a tad to see what 40 grains would be like!I have shot 60 grains of 2f out of it.But would probably need a chronograph to determine if there was a difference,I could't tell.Best regards,J.A.

Minnie, you won't have any safety issues or anything using FFG. It's too slow to burn efficiently in a short barrel though, so you won't get the best of velocities. Try it and see if you come up with a load that works for you though. I've done it a few times when I forgot to bring the pistol flask to the range.

I have used 2f in my Plains Pistol without any issues. Too few shots to tell if it affects accuracy.

the max charge recommendations seem to vary from 35 to 60. Mine came with a recommended 40 grain max and I have since seen it lowered to 35. Some shooters report split stocks with heavy loads and others have no problems. The 20 grain/vol equivalent loads hit to the same sight setting as the 40 gr at 25 yards. The bullet loads prove just as accurate as the ball loads though care should be taken that they do not migrate forward of the powder
Load .490 Ball 175-Grain Velocity Spread
40 Grains Goex 884 fps 24 (5)
40 Grains Swiss 1040 69
40 Grains/Volume Pyrodex 934 72
40 Grains/Volume
H 777 1046 126
40 Grains Goex 681 145
40 Grains/Volume
Pyrodex RS 645 103
40 Grains/Volume
American Pioneer 584 92
30 Grains/Volume
Pyrodex P 760 103
20 Grains/Volume H 777 761 77
20 Grains/Volume
Pyrodex P 464 119
Lee R.E.A.L Bullet
250 Grain 40 fffg 753 46
Lee R.E.A.L Bullet 250 grain
40 Pyrodex P 889 89
Hornady 385 Gr. Plains
Bullet 40 Pyrodex P 657 102

midsouth sells extra barrels for about forty dollars if you want one in 50 and 54. I would love one in 32 cal. I got built one in a kit (my first). shoots so very nice even the teenager thinks it is cool. look forward to a 3rd season illinois antlerless hunt someday. the only beef I have is an astetic (sp) one. The hammer though it strikes the cap just fine is off center. The way the stock was inlaid at the factory I have considered shimming the hammer but am not that ambitious. does anyone else have this issue with their kit gp pistol?

I can only second what everyone else has said. I also agree with WV in that the loads listed for the pistol are on the light side. But, we are dealing with a short barrel.

Mine is 54 cal and I put it together from a kit. That has to be close to 20 years ago. It is accurate and dependable and I would recommend it.

Vic

OK!!! You guys have gone too far now! I haven't even received my new GPR shipment yet and I already want another gun. I always wanted a Great Plains Pistol in a .54 to go with my first GPR. After reading all your comments, I JUST HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!!! Now, just explain it to the wife :hmm: .

cowpoke1955 said:
OK!!! After reading all your comments, I JUST HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!!! Now, just explain it to the wife :hmm: .

Try this,it works for me. I use a credit card that gives points for each dollar spent. I give the points to my wife for all my "required purchases" for my hobby. :winking: Flowers work wonders also.

Back