• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman plains-VS-Traditions trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntnut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was going to order a Lymans Plains .54 but I came acrossed the Traditions Trapper .50 for about the same price. The thing I like about the trapper is it has double trigger set. But I would rather have a 54 little more knock down power. I'm settup for both .50 and .54 so thats not a problem. I'm going to see if there is any thing that comes up with the search bar, but would like any feedback on these two.

I would suggest to try and find a local place that you could handle both. I have the trapper and it is a great pistol but it is a little unwieldy when using the double triggers. The lyman looks a little easier to handle and hold.

Just my 2 cents

Well I might not get either. I just read the Kansas muzzleloader regs and the barrel has to be at least 10" I don't think either of these are over 9"

Well the Kentuky is just 10" or I could go with the William Parker 10 3/8" Just $100 more thats the bad thing about that.

I have both, and in my hands the Trapper is quite a bit more accurate, but doesn't tolerate heavy loads as well. If you're looking to do target shooting, my nod goes towards the Trapper. For hunting, it would definately be the Lyman. It shoots very stout loads quite well.

Huntnut,
I just received the 54 Lyman Plains Pistol I had ordered. I am very pleased with the fit and finish. It is a little barrel heavy but thats alright too, holds on target good. The single trigger surprised me, it is very smooth. I have never handled the Traditions pistol, but I am very happy with this Lyman. If you are considering buying a Lyman, check out DNR Sports and Impact Guns. They had the best prices I could find on a Lyman.

I have a flint trapper, I like it, but it really needs some work.
Smoothing and tuning seriously needed in the lock and triggers. The pan is not machined out real well and I'm gonna relieve it some.
I wonder if a better lock quality would be an improvement.

Back