• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

40 Cal
Reaction score
For some reason Lyman cuts their dovetail blanks at .340" instead of the standard 3/8".
Do you have new dovetails cut or file away at the 3/8" dovetail of replacement sights? Even if I get the Lyman 57MSL peep, I will likely need to go to a higher front sight.

Generally modify the minor part. Then it also depends on your capabilities, for me cutting a dovetail is easy. Be sure to check the depth you will need before any work starts.

Lyman also sells sights to fit the European dovetails. You need the 17AEU front sight.

It's a metric dovetail I suppose. I have Lyman tang mounted peep and their AEU globe front on my LH GPR.
While it''s fine for target work I find that combination doesn't work with hunting situations where often times I cannot see because of the low light. I have made a couple of rear apertures for the Lyman 57sml with bigger holes in the to allow a little more light in.
Just yesterday I installed a new orange fiber optic front sight.(.410" tall) It had .375 dovetail on it and recut it to .342" and installed it. I'll need to shoot and adjust the sights now. There should be enough elevation in the peep to work with the height of the bead. Hoping this will help with hunting big game.

Back