• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle/Green mountain barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what modifications are needed to fit a Green mountain interchangeable barrel onto a Lyman trade Rifle?
They are made to drop right into T/C's but can also be used on many other brands with "minor modofication".
the only problem is no one say's what the modification is.
I assume maybe the barrel lug will have to be moved. How would you do that?

Huntin

Call www.trackofthewolf.com and they will help you with the exact details. I just talked to them today about a Lyman Deerstalker/Green Mountian modifications. I believe the trade rifle may be a little bit different though, I think it's very minor work, if any.
They were very helpful and willing to talk.
Let us know, ok?

A close friend installed an I.B.S. .32 in his .54 Lyman "hawkin". The "minor" modification was to file the rear hook just a bit deeper too fit the tang. He had to cut back the rail also, but not so far as to need new rail screws. Oh, and he did have to bend the hammer just a tad "in" to fit better,but he said it was a problem with the original barrel too. Those adjustments took,a good vise,a file, a hacksaw and a hammer! (a darn steady hand helps!)
I'd check with either by e-mail or a phone call,, they will tell you exactly what needs to be done! Free!
If you need to move a "lug" that's easy too if yer handy,,all it takes is $15-20 worth of "lug tool","lug" and a drill bit.
Call track! they don't need ta "sell ya", they'll just tell ya.

I contacted Track and they said filing the hook may be all that is needed.
I thought I read somewhere that the lug would have to be moved.
I will see what else I can find out.

Huntin

The Lyman "Great Plains Rifle" and the "Great Plains Hunter" (GPR/GPH) are the ones that need lug change and the addition of a second lug for application of GM IBS barrels.
Lyman only offers the 50 and 54 in slow and fast twist for the "Great Plains" model. For those that chose another caliber of IBS offered by GM in a 15/16 OD octigon such as the "Great Plains" has, the change over requires moving at least one lug and a cut back of rail and relocation of rail screws. If Track said "may be all",, well then as a consumer I guess you need to read between the "liability lines"
It is a good thing too "see what else you can find out" though,,,good luck,
best wishes tacks

OAH, I just took my Green Mountain barrel out of my TC and dropped it in the Trade Rifle, the hook was a little tight and the nipple hammer match wasn't what I would want but a small amount of inletting would take care of that, everthing else seemed to work fine.

sabotshooter,
Thanks for the info. Filing the hook wouldn't be a problem. If anything else failed to line up I would be concerned about making any changes to my rifle because I want to be able to swap out barrels depending on what I feel like shooting without worrying about making adjustments every time.
I've got the 28 inch 1:48 twist but I'm looking at the GM 32 inch 1:70 for roundball and even pondering the 32 inch smoothbore for shooting shot.
I'm going to research some more. I'd hate to spend so much money and not have them work as expected.

Huntin

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ContactUs

Might try dropping these folks a note they have really been helpful to me in the past...

I too, got a 32" GM Barrel, but you know me I went the other direction I got the 1/28 twist - it certainly is a shooter, actually I got two of those barrels, one of them I blued and dropped into a TC Hawken stock, the second is still in a box - still in white, everyone should have a spare barrel just sitting the corner right?

Back