• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle In .54?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol Thing

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The flintlock bug finally bit me. I've done several searches on here reguarding the Lyman Trade Rifle, but found nothing, lots on the GPR but not the Trade Rifle. I see there selling for $282.87 at DNR Sports.
Can anyone tell me if there a good accurate soild built rifle? I don't know anything about flinters at all. All I know is that I got a bad bug for one. Maybe I'd get a gun in a kit!?
Any feed back would help a great deal. :yakyak:
Thanks a heap!.......Ol Thing......

I have an old trade rifle in .50 flint, it's seen 20 years of hard use and I still love it! a .54 would be even better, and it sounds like the price is real resonable. go for it, you won't regret it!

Thanks longfowler,
I have several caplock rifles and pistols, but not one flinter. I think they'd be happy to have a flinter in the safe with them. But I don't know that the wife would agree. LOL!! :surrender:
How many shots on average, do you think you get from a flint? And how long does the striker in the lock last between rebuilds? I read somwhere long ago, where they replaced the striker with a piece of a file. Welded or braized in place.
I don't have any idea how reliable that info was?
Thanks again for your reply,, Ol Thing

I have a Lyman Trade Flintlock in .54. It is a wonderfull hard hitting gun. It is accurate and dependable. I use Tom Fuller flints and get probably 50 shots per flint.

DNR has the best prices on the net, I believe. This is where I got my .54 GPR flint kit. The Trade Rifle and the GPR have the same lock. They are very strong and reliable. Don't worry about the frizzen. They have the best of all production guns. By the way, they take a 3/4" flint. The Trade Rifle has a 28" barrel with a 1 in 48" twist. Should be able to shoot round ball and conicals well. I never shot one, but I did handled one in a store. It felt good and solid. As for the caliber, you can't get any better than a .54. Just remember.....only real black powder. Nothing else will work. I think you'd be happy with this rifle. Good luck with the wife :thumbsup:

I recently got a flintlock .54 Trade Rifle and I love it. Accurate, reliable a great knock around hunting rifle. It would be an excellent first flinter, or in my case a seventh flinter, but it is my favorite rifle.

:hmm: The Lyman Trade rifle and the GPR in flinter are nice guns. You should be aware that the lock has a coilspring rather than a traditional mainspring. Works just as well but it just isn't a traditional main spring.

Thanks all for the info! I'll see what I can do in the next few days.
This shakey economy, has me on edge, as to what to spend my few depleating dollars on. Maybe I ought to just keep what I have and buy more powder-n-shot, and storable foods!?
Looks like were in for some bad weather, economy wise. Allen Greenspan just told APEC not to accept anymore dollars for oil. And the dollar just took another dive. He seems to be workin hard toward the new Amero dollar and the NWO.
All these people ought to have their necks streached, for treason!!
Thanks again guys, sorry for the rant!! OL Thing

Yes I agree the Trade rifle would do just fine on our corporate sell-out gvmt. leaders. We will all be making shoes for the Chinese in another 20 years :cursing: I believe the GPR has a 32" barrel if you will be target shooting for bragging rights I would go with that. If its just target shootin for fun and hunting the 28" does well. Don't expect any change without active involvement :v

Back