• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED M1842 front barrel band

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Johhny

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of getting a M1842 musket that is missing the front barrel band. I know lodgewood has them but was wondering if anyone here knew of one or had one for cheaper? It does not have to be in very good condition.

Thank you!

When I built my 42 shooter from a Harper's Ferry basket case I bought a repro from S & S. Soaked and dried it multiple times in a heavy solution of salt & water. It continue to rust for about a year. Other than a molded sight as opposed to the original brass blade it looks like it is original to the gun. The originals are expensive. I wholesaled one last year for $180. Good luck, If your not in the NSSA you can join their bulletin board an put up an add. If anyone has a nose band to part with that is where you will find one. https://www.n-ssa.org/

Tom

When I built my 42 shooter from a Harper's Ferry basket case I bought a repro from S & S. Soaked and dried it multiple times in a heavy solution of salt & water. It continue to rust for about a year. Other than a molded sight as opposed to the original brass blade it looks like it is original to the gun. The originals are expensive. I wholesaled one last year for $180. Good luck, If your not in the NSSA you can join their bulletin board an put up an add. If anyone has a nose band to part with that is where you will find one. https://www.n-ssa.org/

Tom
Thanks for the tip! At this point I would accept even a repro but I can’t even find those.

The NSSA Fall Nationals is the first weekend in Oct. It is a major time for the bulletin board selling and buying. Join it and put up an WTB add. I checked S & S and there site says out of stock. I would call them. 42 smooth bores are one of the guns people are still building for competition and they will likely have some ready for Nationals or at least tell you if and when they will. I would call Lodgewood too. Ed Knicely is a parts dealer. He ain't cheap but he's fair and has a **** ton of parts his number is 717 741 2556. I just talked to his wife and put in a request for the part for the 42. I am looking for a part so I figured I'd call him. Let you know what he's got when he calls and well go from there.

Taylor's Firearms is showing Armisport front bands in stock for like $73 bucks. I did try once and they will fit an original 1842 though not as precisely as an original band will. Solder on a new brass sight with a little added patina and you should be good to go. Original front bands are usually in the $200 range but sometimes a deal can be found. Best of luck in your hunt!

Back