• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

M1861 Springfield Bayonet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Pugh

36 Cal.
Reaction score
When I first got my Springfield the bayonet fit perfect but over the years it's gotten loose is there any thing I can do to snug it back up?
Yellowhammer :grin:

yellowhammer said:
When I first got my Springfield the bayonet fit perfect but over the years it's gotten loose is there any thing I can do to snug it back up?
Yellowhammer :grin:

If you slightly ovate the sleeve, it will grip the barrel better...

Does the locking ring snug tight or is it sloppy?

You could always add metal to the inside of the locking ring and tube (brazing) and tighten things back up, by doing the inner diameter, the fix wouldn't show as much...

I think Musketman has the best solution. A careful soft soldering of shim stock to the interior of the socket is the best method. Shim stock is available in various thicknesses of various materials (use copper if possible) at any auto parts supply store and it can be applied using a propane torch. Lightly tin the inside of the socket, tin the shim stock, carefully clamp it to the interior, heat till the solder flows, allow to cool and done. It does not need to completely incircle the inside of the socket, cut just enough of the right thickness to take up the slop.

Latest posts

Back