• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a shotgun ramrod for my kibler colonial smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Now this should work better for pushing down thin os cards and my felt wads as well.

Attachments

• 20220914_174221.jpg
    20220914_174221.jpg
    1.5 MB
  • 20220914_174239.jpg
    20220914_174239.jpg
    948.7 KB
  • 20220914_174326.jpg
    20220914_174326.jpg
    1.8 MB
That is pretty fricken cool. I like it…Next couple months, I’ll be ordering the Colonial rifle as a smoothbore…I’m torn between getting a .54 calibre/28 gauge or the .58 calibre/24 gauge…
I am loving my 58 smoothbore thus thing is shooting very well with a roundball.

I’ve got my .58 smoothbore Colonial kit sitting in the basement - bought a ball mold and some 24 ga wads, now I need to get started building it! Between business travel and Covid twice, I just haven’t had any free time to set down and get to it!

I’ve got my .58 smoothbore Colonial kit sitting in the basement - bought a ball mold and some 24 ga wads, now I need to get started building it! Between business travel and Covid twice, I just haven’t had any free time to set down and get to it!
I really enjoyed building mine you have to show some pictures when you are done.

I got one (,40 SMR) in the white with regular grade maple. TOO NICE, intimated me. I may start soon, had it months and afraid I will screw it up with finish. Really considering grabbing a cheap KY flint kit from Traditions to practice on but finding hints from the wife that might not be the best solution. Sooooo......maybe will \strip one and practice thata way. You guys think if I bought n built a kit gun I could recover the kit cost? Maybe she fall for that....err I mean go for that??

BTW VERY nice job on that tip. I have a 20 GA that has a straight ram rod and I had the neighborhood drunk mechanic make me 2. Functional but look like they were made by some guy after 16 keystone lights.

where did you get the two end pieces, and wood? did I miss it? if so, sorry.
The wood was from kibler I ordered three extra ramrods The bottom ramrod tip is an old t/c one lying around. The shotgun tip I made from some brass I had for years.

thank you for the reply. the shot gun tip, did you file it down using a drill press, or a lathe? just courious.

thank you for the reply. the shot gun tip, did you file it down using a drill press, or a lathe? just courious.
I used my buddy's manual lathe. I only did it because I couldn't find any 58 cal shotgun tips plenty of 20ga lol. I was just going to use a 58 cal button jag but wanted something a little more snug in the barrel and have a flat face for seating the os cards / wads.

Last edited:
thank you. that sure answers my queries. sorry to ask so many questions. the rod is outstanding.

That was an excellent idea and you created a super good rod. I used to make rod tips out of antler and made one similar to yours. It worked like I hoped it would.
But antler being brittle it took only a one time fumbling drop to destroy that nice tip.

Back