• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Magic Maple Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570tc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I get Magic Maple wood stain, I belive it was chromic acid.

I redid a fix on a gun that I built back in the 70S. and I need a touch up.

4570tc said:

You realize that stuff turns your gun green...... :barf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinker2 said:
Mike Brooks said:
4570tc said:

What are you doing that makes it turn green?

Dixie gun works http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_96_214_215&products_id=3914

Tinker2
I don't use it because it turns maple green. Chromic acid is something to stay away from.

Tinker2 said:
Mike Brooks said:
4570tc said:

What are you doing that makes it turn green?

Dixie gun works http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_96_214_215&products_id=3914

Tinker2
just follow the directions and see :rotf:

I think sometimes it turns green, sometimes it doesn't. It's just the luck of the draw, and my luck ain't that great, so I avoid it entirely.

Apparently, it WAS used as a stain at least in the late 19th century. Years ago, when I was just a mere lad, I got to see a late 19th century percussion small caliber rifle with a cool long brass tube scope mounted on it. The stock was curly maple and green as a pea. :shocked2:

I used Chromium trioxide and that is, as I understand it, just the dry form of chromic acid, yes?

I have never had the wood turn green on me.

I am not trying to be a smart ass, I would truly like to know why some folks are getting green colored wood. I don’t have a new bottle with the directions to read to see what is different.

Does everybody who has actually used it themselves get green wood?
Anyone have it work well?

Tinker2 wants to know.

Thanks
Tinker2

I too have seen them turn green. It may be a reaction to certain acids that the wood has picked up from the soil in a particular area where it grew. I don't know, but a buddy of mine made a couple rifles in the seventies, and they both turned green within months of completion.

I had a Leman turn green after it dried. I read in Buckskin Report to wash it down with vinegar and it turned a medium brown with almost black stripes .

rich pierce said:
seen many a green stock. Is it worth the risk?
Rich

Again I am not trying to sound like a smart ass but I have never consider it a risk.
What am I missing? Are we sure of the what and how?

Can someone explain how Chromium trioxide is used?

Maybe I have just been lucky. It wouldn’t be the first time.

“I have never seen spectacular results that we could not get with other stains.”

True. That one reason I have not used it lately, to much trouble to go to and too time consuming.

Thanks
Tinker2

Wick

Is chromic acid what he used? Do you know how he used it?

Thanks
Tinker2

Bubba45 said:
I had a Leman turn green after it dried. I read in Buckskin Report to wash it down with vinegar and it turned a medium brown with almost black stripes .
Bubba

I have always used a concentrated form of chromic acid and the stock
looks like a black charred piece of wood in a week.
Then lightened to the color that you want with water/vinegar mix.
It’s the way I was taught, in the [old days].

And yes vinegar by it’s self is a stain.

Tinker2

I have never used Magic Maple myself, but I've heard that you can avoid it turning green by using it in combination with potassium permanganate.

I used Magic Maple once.

Now I'm sure that 4570tc's gun is great but when I used that stuff it turned my wood such an ugly color that I resanded the entire stock to get rid of it.

No, it didn't turn my stock green but then, I didn't give it enough time to do that.

Later, talking to other builders I was told that it would turn maple green and indeed, I've sense seen several green stocked guns that had been treated with Magic Maple.

IMO, it is even worse than using a "all in one Oil stain" finish and that's saying something!

Since seeing is believing, does anyone out there have a color picture of a "camouflaged" stock that was stained with Magic Maple?

Back