• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

main horn priming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
When I bought my first flintlock smoothbore in 1997 I set out on a project to test their much vaunted versatility by hunting with no other gun and using it to take every species I usually hunt. That worked out to be a fun and educational project, and I was able to do what I set out to do. I liked it so well I am still doing it, with only occasional backsliding with another BP gun.

Now, I'm going to work on something else. I have always wanted to try using only the gear and methods the colonial people would have used. I use a flintlock smoothbore, sure, there are several things which I suspect are modern innovations. I'd like to try doing my shooting without them. There's quite a list, in spite of the fact I'm pretty hardnose about my reenacting and hunting. I plan on eliminating one thing at a time at a comfortable pace. Gave up using a short starter with this gun a long time ago. Next to go is all the little ramrod gadgets.... jags, screw-in worms, scrapers, shotgun ramming buttons, etc. Today I finished a totally wood ramrod, no brass tip, whittled a screw-thread on the small end for a primitive wire worm and plan on doing all my cleaning in the field with tow. I've tried that in the past and it works just fine. Next on my list is my priming horn and 4F priming powder. Don't know that I've ever fired a shot without using it, but no more, not with this gun.

That brings up a question for the board. Does anyone prime from their main horn using main-charge powder, 3F or 2F? I'm firmly convinced that a small amount of prime is best, and I'm puzzled how you can quickly and accurately deliver that small amount from your main horn. I reenact 1778, and shooting pouches were small, then, and powder horns large. Mine is a 17" horn which I carry on a separate strap. Don't quite see how I'll be able to use it to prime. Powder doesn't always flow as smoothly and under control as you want, and I can see piles of wasted powder burying my pan. Any voices of experience? Any hints how to make it work as well as my priming horn?

Thanks.

Spence

Spence,
i prime with my main horn, using 3F. my horn is probly 14". i tip it halfway and tap the horn tip against the pan and powder slowly dribbles out. As usual - practice makes perfect.
good luck

Pedersoli Bess, 12" horn (wish it was a little bigger), 2F, same method as the others.
Sometimes I dump a little too much. Just brush it away with the horn stopper since it's right there in my fingers anyway.

I prime from the horn using my finger as a gate, grip the horn by the neck placing your index finger over the hole and turn the horn upside down then slide your finger over slowly till a small amount of powder comes out.With a little practice its very fast and i have better control of the powder flow. As always YMMV.

...i prime my smoothbore the same way as longrifle78... with 2f from the main horn...hold my index finger over the openning and shake the powder to the tip...then meter it out by lifting my finger off the openning...

+ 1

I use 2F right out of my buffalo horn for priming now. After years and years of priming with FFFFg ('cause someone 20 years ago told me I should) I've found I can't tell the difference.

laffindog said:
I use 2F right out of my buffalo horn for priming now. After years and years of priming with FFFFg ('cause someone 20 years ago told me I should) I've found I can't tell the difference.
I think anyone who has tried using main-charge powder to prime will agree that it works very well and that we can't perceive any difference in speed, although there is apparently a measurable one. I'm not concerned about that. Why not use your 2F out of a small convenient priming horn, though? Do we have any evidence the old boys ever did that?

BTW, 'dog, I posted a couple of pictures for you of the ramrod from my old Belgian shotgun in the Firearms Research thread.

Spence

I havnt used priming powder in years.I have a horn that carries at least a pound and a half that I prime with,2f in all my guns from a75 bess to a 50 lancaster.

By using my main horn I have found that not using a separate little horn is one less thing to have to prepare or forget. When Robin and I go to a rendezvous or other shooting event we have 5 or 6 or more guns, bags and horns for them, a lot of gear. Not worrying about us each having one more piece of gear makes it just a little easier to keep track of things.

I've read about the time difference between FFFF vs. 2F and 3F and the difference is measured in hundredths of a second. I can understand the bench rest guys being concerned but for old musket trash like me shooting off hand it's not worth worrying about.

Spence,

I prime with ffg from my main horn. For me, piles of wasted powder are not at all unusual. I get better with practice.

Warmest Regards,

Robert

in my .50 flinter I found that with fffg if I close the frizzen be for loading It pretty much primes it's self. I just check the pan put it on full cock and pull the trigger. :wink: I do use ffffg sometimes just cause I got a pound i need to use up but I can tell no differance with the fffg
Galen

I think using a smaller horn with the same powder defeats the purpose of using the same powder IE one horn, to each his own though, I use the finger gate method to pour from the main horn and if I overprime a lot I just turn the gun and tap a bit out if it is not a real overdose I just live with it, I just try not to let it bury the vent hole which on my gun is about 5/64, no liner slightly coned on the inside, it all works well and I cannot tell any difference between this and finer powder, I have had someone prime and switch up on me and I could not call the shots so to speak, I think at times we make things a lot more complicated than the really be, now competition bench shooters with peeps and weighed loads and balls are probably a bit different and would not accept my archaic concepts and practices but the local Deer, Grouse, Quail, paper plates and such are not concerned with whatever difference twixt the old ways and the newer concepts of exact, precice, perfecto everything, again no offence to the serious target shooters who are looking for the tightest groups possible.

Old Musket Trash :rotf: I love it, I think I'll go with Old Fuzee Trash, it might make a good new camp name :grin:

54mountain said:
in my .50 flinter I found that with fffg if I close the frizzen be for loading It pretty much primes it's self. I just check the pan put it on full cock and pull the trigger.
In his journal Audubon describes the loading sequence, including this bit:

" He blows through his rifle to ascertain that it is clear, examines his flint, and thrusts a feather in the touch-hole...[describes loading the patched ball, then continues...] The elastic hickory rod, held with both hands, smoothly pushes the ball to its bed; once, twice, thrice has it rebounded. The rifle leaps as it were into the hunter’s arms, the feather is drawn from the touch-hole, the powder fills the pan, which is closed. “Now I’m ready,” cries the woodsman."

Sounds easy and efficient, and I've seen it described elsewhere, but all my modern style vents are too small to allow enough powder to prime the gun reliably to run through. I do have one gun with a vent big enough, and I'm going to try a variation of this technique next time I have it out hunting.

Spence

ayup, what the fella said... gave my priming horn to my wife, 'casue she loves little gadgets (as do i, bt the way- the guy who dies with the most tools wins).

As often as she gets to shoot, the 4f shouold last another two generations.

make good smoke!

Having a gun that self primes in these modern times is frowned upon for safety reasons. So is
"blowing down the barrel to ascertain that it is clear". But let's not start that discussion here. :surrender: :rotf: :idunno:

In my part of the country you can carry your muzzleloader with a main charge but is legally considered unloaded if there is no cap on the nipple or a prime in the pan. I had to replace the vent liner on my J.Henry 'cause it would self prime and was going to get me in trouble some day.

Latest posts

Back