• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maine Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Monday night at 7:37 I dropped the cock on a nice bear. I sent the .440 patched ball through both lungs driven by 50 grains of KIK 3f black powder. I was using a Bruce Beane poorboy # 10 who had belonged to a deceased friend Sandy Smith. Bruce's rifle performed flawlessly at 25 yards and the 275 lb. bruin died 25 yards from the bait. Bears are not hard to kill with proper shot placement. I have a camp in bear country if any of you would like to partake! A pennsylvanian shot one 100 yards behind my camp Friday evening.
Nit Wit

Where is your camp? I hunted up around Chain of Ponds some and a friend had a cabin on Eustis Ridge Road, back when there were only a few cabins there and no side roads. All that was back in the 60's and early 70's.

What's the cost of a week up there? Out of state licenses and tags and other expenses? I'd be interested, my brother might too. He used to hunt deer up at Wytopitlock.

Guided hunt over bait(700.00)Tranportation to and from baits.
Big game licence, non-resident(114.00)
Bear permit " " (74.00)
You supply groceries, and stay at my camp in Andover south western Maine. Active baits.
Nit Wit

I guess I should mention that Nit Wit clarified the fact that he is not the guide so he is not selling the hunt.

He would like any of our members who want to join him on one of these hunts to do it.

We are fighting it tooth and nail. The state is even trying to keep baiting and hounding. The woods here is so thick it is the only practical way of hunting. We have over 30,000 black bear and counting. There are only about 5000 residents who hunt bear. Success rates for hunting over bait is one bear every 4 years. Its not that easy. I have hunted my whole life and I come from a family of bear guides. I have only killed 14.

I also have a camp in Greeneville near moosehead lake. same deal on the camp (free) but you would have to get a guide up there.
Nit Wit

A few years ago NMLRA champ Rob Root came out from Ohio and we extended the roof out over the porch. I insulated the place, added a skylight,finished the walls and ceilings and put a metal roof on so the rain won't drip on Shine anymore!We even have room outside to pitch a couple of tents.
NW

HAHAHA I says hey its dripping on my head and Nit Wit says quit whining and switch ends so it drips on your feet. Before the camp was insulated Me an Nit went on a late deer hunt, it was in the single digits and the candle flame was blowing sideways on the table. :thumbsup:

And to "T.O."

CONGRADS on the bear.

Fwiw, a friend of mine took a Blackie in 2011 with a .40 caliber flinter & PRB at 44 long steps. Brer Bear fell over GYD about 5 steps from where he was hit. = NUFF SAID about how hard (or easy) that Blackies are to take by a marksman.

To T.O.: I'd bet that more WT are taken with a .45 caliber than with any other caliber, if only because so many are bought by 1st time ML shooters, that never "get around to" buying another ML.

Btw, is XB lawful up your way for big game?

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back