• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Make a Matchlock video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have one. Mr McCrory is from Oklahoma and does firearms restorations. His matchlock video was selling on Ebay, and I got a copy. It just arrived this week. Mr McCrory demonstrates the construction from scratch of a matchlock mechanism, the pan, stock, and furniture. The only thing that he did not make was the barrel. I found it very interesting, and will be viewing it repeatedly, I'm sure. The resulting piece is a copy of a matchlock that Mr McCrory once owned. Although the video does a good job showing the procedures used, it lacks the scale drawings that would be found in a book. It is never the less very interesting, and for me atleast, informative as well.

Matchlocks made from planks often manage to resemble planks even when complete. I call it matchlocks-that-look-like-planks syndrome.

It seems hard to avoid unless you look at a lot of matchlocks and appreciate the subtlety of their design.

If he only had one matchlock to copy, should we expect a plank?

Please tell me I am wrong ::

How about guns made from fence posts?

22496.jpg

Not easy to find something worse than that, we are getting into the realms of the truly horrendous, but I plumbed the depths of my collection and here it is ::

worse.jpg

Robin:

Not easy to find something worse than that, we are getting into the realms of the truly horrendous, but I plumbed the depths of my collection and here it is ::

worse.jpg

Yikes! :shocking: How can one fire that pistol comfortably? My wrist hurts just thinking about that one!

Come to think of it, just where was that pistol made?

Yikes! :shocking: How can one fire that pistol comfortably? My wrist hurts just thinking about that one!

Come to think of it, just where was that pistol made?

On the lock plate S. Winfield, Derby. I have found two Winfields in Stockel but no S Winfield, proof positive that this quality matchlock must date before 1400.

I hadn't thought about firng it, I'd have to weld the breech shut first but that wouldn't take long.

Any of you matchlock shooters ever thought about making your own video?

Film yourself demostrating the musket drill or something on that nature, I would like to see that...

I'm a little late to the discussion, a new user at that, but I have this video and wanted to share my opinion.

While the video glosses over some details that I would find useful, such as measurements and how the ramrod channel was drilled through to the lock plate, it was very enlightening. I would have liked more action shots, but what do you expect when the narrator is taping the video by hand and has no assistant. The end result of the work documented is gorgeous, to say the least. He really knows guns. I've had the pleasure of talking to him through email when I purchased the video off ebay, he's a gentleman and a scholar, or as he would say: "a gentle horse collar". :)

If you haven't already, try to buy from him directly, it's well worth getting in touch with him for his expertise and manner. They don't make them like this anymore!

Jason

Back