• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

make a muzzleloader info...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared185

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I have heard a few people say that they were making a muzzleloader. I have a cherry stock that I had cut and formed in the hopes of making a kentucky long rifle. However my local gin shopcannot order the sidelock or barrel or anything does anyone have a good suggestion as to a place in ky that sells them or a good site to order from im affraid to just look it up on google and end up with low end parts that will break it dont have to be real fancy just durable I can engrave later.

Google Track of the Wolf.They will have everything you may need.

Mitch Yates

If you want to ENSURE that you get quality parts go to Flintlocks.com and their sister company, Buckeye Barrels.

There are other outfits too....Track of the Wolf, The Log Cabin Shop, Tip Curtis' Frontier Shop, Stonewall Creek Outfitters, etc.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the problem John? The Chambers charges no more for their parts than others and they are all first rate.

You know a Siler ordered from them will be a Chambers backed by a lifetime warranty.

Now, you will likely see cheaper buttplates and trigger guards listed on those other sites...in which case they are sand cast or of unknown alloys or bronze...it's a manure shoot. You know you're getting real soft brass parts from Chambers.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to spend a fair amount of money on a lock, barrel, hardware and tools. Since you don't know where to buy parts I'm assuming you're new to this venture.

Do you know what you're doing? It's not that simple. Having a piece of wood and buying some parts isn't going to magically turn into a finished gun. Have you done this before? Have you researched what type of gun you want to build? Which "schools" of gun makers used cherry? Do you have books and/or videos? Or, do you expect this or other forums to walk you through every step of gun building?

You need to do some homework and practice unless you want turn parts costing hundreds of dollars into scrap.

Exactly. Ask where to get the parts now. I expect the rest of the questions to follow later. Enjoy, J.D.

Actually I know how to make a stock lol but thats it. I expect a lot more questions to follow as im switching from cf to muzxleloaders.

If you can work wood and have the tools you are way ahead in this game.

I guess the first thing you need to figure out is what "style" or "school" of longrifle you want to build. It's not a simple matter of throwing some parts together.

Look over the sites of the companies mentioned and form some opinions. You will be well served to get some books on the subject. Track of the Wolf is likely to have the best selection.

Recreating the American Longrifle, The Gunsmith of Grenville County and The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle are the big three.

Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
If you can work wood and have the tools you are way ahead in this game.

I guess the first thing you need to figure out is what "style" or "school" of longrifle you want to build. It's not a simple matter of throwing some parts together.

Look over the sites of the companies mentioned and form some opinions. You will be well served to get some books on the subject. Track of the Wolf is likely to have the best selection.

Recreating the American Longrifle, The Gunsmith of Grenville County and The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle are the big three.
Enjoy, J.D.

(emphasis added ... )

this is very true!

i would recommend that you get, at a minimum, a copy of The Gunsmith of Grenville County, and read it cover to cover several times ... this will keep you from making mistakes which will cost youy much more than the cost of the book ... also, if you decide that you're not up to building your own rifle, you're not out a boatload of money spent on parts that sit in a drawer only to be 'disposed of' in some estate sale many years from now.

Also, get a really good sharpening system going - you'll want your tools sharp enough to shave hairs off your forearm.

good luck with your build!

(psst - should we tell him what happens after the first build, or will he figure it out at about number four or five?) habit- forming doesn't begin to describe ...

A rifle project (any project really) is a string of smaller projects that hopefully end up looking like what you're trying to build. You will need to learn a few things about steel and wood or spend the money and farm it out. So you end up buying tools or paying someone else to do the work for you. If you only want to build one rifle farming out is ok but if your like many of us here, one is never enough so in the long run it's cheaper to buy the tools and learn the skills. Much more satisfying too.

Track of the Wolf, Dixie gun Works, and Log Cabin in Lodi all have a good selection of parts. I deal with all three and have never had a problem with any of them! :idunno: :idunno:

Back