• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a leather awl - best steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Want to make a leather awl - Was thinking to start out with some drill rod - what would be the best steel? O1?
thanks for your help!

Drill rod is fine. But its only putting a hole in leather, and you don't even need steel that tough. Any steel rod will do. The secret is in shaping the point so its sharp enough to punch through thick leather, but not so sharp that the point can stick you easily, or bend in heavy leather. Taper the rod to a point, using a grinder, then files, then emery cloth to remove all tool marks, and make the surface as smooth as possible. Smooth steel offers much less friction passing through the leather, making the work easier. Tandy Leather sells an awl for a few dollars, that will do all you could possibly want. I own one, but also won an awl with an antler handle made by one of my club's members, and put on a Blanket Prize shoot. I believe the rod on this awl is tool steel.

Old carbon steel serving fork tine...removed and sharpened into a diamond cross section profile...set in a wood or antler handle...plus one fork gives you two awls for twice the fun...

TCA

It did not take me long to break the awl I bought from Tandy's. In looking thru my stuff, I found an old ice pick. I shortened the pick and ground a diamond shape. It works real well and the bigger handle helps. Thanks for the other suggestions I'll probably break my ice pick before too long. JZ

After taking the awl to a diamond cross section go one step further and take it to an oval cross section . After getting it sharpened with stones either strop it on a leather strop with rouge or on a buffing wheel or bob with a dremel . The oval and being buffed will let it glide through the leather .
Try it you'll like it :thumbsup:

I use a nut pick. Just pound the tip straight. Have one with a antler handle. They have a nice taper or shoulder on them. Dilly

Latest posts

Back