• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Your Own Wads:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HEY, RUNNINGBARE!
Thank's! :redthumb: I'm gonna use your "board" idea!
(Gotta check,, BUT) I think I'll go with the 5/8 or 3/4 birch type plywood.
I've been (don't laugh,,,ok?) taking the Sunday papers and shreding them in a blender that I got in a yardsale for a buck, and storing them in a trash bag (takes a lot). Then when I'm ready I'll blend them again with some Bore Butter until they don't blend anymore and roll in some more paper pulp until the mix gets pretty dry. Scoop a tblsp's worth onto/into a 1/2" copper pipe section, squeeze it down (about 3/8-1/2") and punch it out the end ,,,and repeat (over and over again!) Your "board" idea may have just replaced the copper pipe! :front:
Bore Butter ,, "dries out" over time. To reduce this effect, I quick dip them in parrafin to seal them on the end of a needle.
I've used this method on shot collumns, RB's, and Maxies and been very pleased. :applause:
(In case anyone is interested, :peace:)

Dread,

Thanks for the info. I have a Harbour Freight in the area, so I will give the 5/8 punch a try.

CS

riarcher,

I would think that it would be easier to ask a company for their shredder material. In fact, my shredder is about due for a cleanout. Hmmm...

CS

Oh I was just kidding about aelling the 5/8 arbor punch. Heck I got the whole set for 9.00 bucks. Just a little Western Humor. Hey we still have my Mother inlaws ashes in the closet. Think it would make a good buffer for shot loads?

Please bare with me. While I've been shooting muzzle loading rifles for 38 years I'm just finishing a Wilson's Chiefs Gun that I plan to use both ball and shot in. I have never used a smooth bore with shot. I have a ton of cork sheeting 1/8" thick that I can use for wads, also I found 3 large hornets nests last week while turkey hunting that I would like to try since I have read somewhere that that material is traditional. My question is if I use the hornets nests should I use the "comb" part of the nest material as the cushion wad for the shot or should I only use the paper wrapping on the outside for both the over powder/cushion wad as well as for the over shot wad.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Regards, Dave

Appears that some papers are better than others. Like my printer paper does not seem to fall apart (back to pulp) and blend with the "mix" as easilly as newspaper, (cheap)paper towels, and toilet paper. (and I'm just discarding the newspapers anyways)
Used toilet paper wouldbe nice,, but I'm afraid it would give me a crappy load? :crackup:

I know I've seen some where, maybe this forum, about using a punch to cut your own wads. I found some info using a search both here and elsewhere. What I'm wanting to know is: What do you use for a punch, for say cutting wads similiar to wonder wads, 12 gauge? Did you make your own punch? I though I read somewhere, where someone sawed off an empty CO2 cartridge, ground it with a dremel and used that. How about gasket punches, will they work, what size? Isn't 12 gauge, equivelent to .750? That would be 3/4" right? That would fit almost perfectly then in a 12 barrel. Would it be better, if cutting felt, like maybe 1/8 thick, to use a punch a tad larger like a 13/16" size? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Dura Felt is the supplier and Harbor Freight has the hole punch sets cheap ($15.00+) 3/4 in is what I punch 12ga with and 1/8 in is all you need ,need more just add another ! For rifle I go up a size 50 for 45 -54 for 50 and so on AND way more wads than others stated (depends on size) but cheap and rolling your own means always having what you need and no back orders!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0256[1].JPG
    IMG_0256[1].JPG
    166 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0257[1].JPG
    IMG_0257[1].JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
sorry fellows,i'm still pretty new at this thing . not for anything but occationally i still get yelled at for havin my hat on in the house and my elbows on the suppertable.(i have a very etiquette mind 4 year old).i will continue to thank both of you for showing me the error of my ways.
But using capitals at the beginning of a sentence
That post was from 17 yrs ago. Never know he might still have it!
I’ve got to start looking at the date of the thread and reply, I was about to reply to a post my self……….😜

I know I've seen some where, maybe this forum, about using a punch to cut your own wads. I found some info using a search both here and elsewhere. What I'm wanting to know is: What do you use for a punch, for say cutting wads similiar to wonder wads, 12 gauge? Did you make your own punch? I though I read somewhere, where someone sawed off an empty CO2 cartridge, ground it with a dremel and used that. How about gasket punches, will they work, what size? Isn't 12 gauge, equivelent to .750? That would be 3/4" right? That would fit almost perfectly then in a 12 barrel. Would it be better, if cutting felt, like maybe 1/8 thick, to use a punch a tad larger like a 13/16" size? Thanks for any help you can provide.
I made a list of the wad sizes I wanted in both English and Metric dimensions and then went to Amazon and started looking at Arch Punches…Found what I wanted, ordered the ones that I really needed first, and picked up the others over time…

Back