• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

man I have to start paying attention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my son out to my ground blind tonight and made the mistake of taking the new field and stream with us,well my son Ethan read it first then I picked it up. Ethan was watching all the ruffed grouse playing around, commenting every 2 minutes that we should have brought his bb gun, when I heard a couple of the grouse flush, I look up and we have deer on us at 20 yards and more coming. Well at 20 yards with multiple deer it is pretty hard to retreive your rifle and stick the 42" barrel out the firing port without them seeing you, so to make a long story short they popped us ant split ahhh.. oh well waited 30 more minutes decided to go sneak up one, zipped up the window and it sounded like the sky was falling there were deer all around us. Oh well that's one more I can shoot tommorrow.

newpics11272010251.jpg

Man, that's a great pic.

It's always tougher with a young'un, but it's sure fun, huh? :haha:

I remember taking my two out and showing them how to use grunt calls and rattling antlers, then letting them cut loose in a ground blind (tent).

I've often wondered what the outside of that little tent must have looked like, I can imagine the sides flopping in and out with all the noise and breathing - like a bunch of ducks in a car wreck. :haha:

We sure had a good time though, some of the best hunts of my life. Never saw a thing, but I knew I wasn't wasting their time - I set us up in places where I knew it was possible that we might see deer, and if we screwed it up then so be it. We would stay out there for an hour or two and then go get a Slurpee.

Great times. GREAT times. I fully understand your kid is older than that and is way beyond that stage as a hunter, but your post sure brought back some good memories for me.

Thanks. :grin:

:thumbsup:
Spot

Ah man.... You're cooked now. He's going to be telling that story to his own kids one day! Better save this pic for self defense.

All kidding aside, good job having him out there. Unlike the deer, he will not be The One That Got Away. :hatsoff:

texcl said:
I took my son out to my ground blind tonight and made the mistake of taking the new field and stream with us,well my son Ethan read it first then I picked it up. Ethan was watching all the ruffed grouse playing around, commenting every 2 minutes that we should have brought his bb gun, when I heard a couple of the grouse flush, I look up and we have deer on us at 20 yards and more coming. Well at 20 yards with multiple deer it is pretty hard to retreive your rifle and stick the 42" barrel out the firing port without them seeing you, so to make a long story short they popped us ant split ahhh.. oh well waited 30 more minutes decided to go sneak up one, zipped up the window and it sounded like the sky was falling there were deer all around us. Oh well that's one more I can shoot tommorrow.

He'll never forget you for moments like those moments...

You're a good, dad! :applause:

KodiakHunter said:
texcl said:

He'll never forget you for moments like those moments...

You're a good, dad! :applause:

good stuff

What a Great story and pix. :hatsoff: In MHO that's what it's all about!
Bein able to hunt with a young un WOW. :thumbsup: I'll be takin my grandson
with me next season. Can't wait!
Dusty :wink:

Haha! At least it was Field and Stream and not Maxim. You may not have even noticed the deer raise tail and run!

Looks like you got a head-start on me with the youngin's. My boy is only 2, but I can't wait to get him started on the outdoors.

Yeah, Ethan is 8 now and can keep pretty still and quiet, but my 4 year old boy is another creature all together, he only goes highpower hunting because nothing will come within 300 yards of us and all the comotion. I do bring both of them for tracking work and you would be surprised what those young eyes can pick up, they are pretty good trackers even for adults (if you can keep them focused).

Great Story and Pictures!!!

I have 4 boys and I take them all when I can. Took my oldest (11) on his first deer hunt for himself this year. He Made me so Proud!! We Hunted in an area with a migratory herd of deer, they dont show up until the snow is knee high in the hight country. We Hunted Hard and not even a track was seen. I was very upset at myself for putting in for that area.. I guess he could see it on my face cause he told me "Don't Worry Dad, I had a bunch of fun just hanging out with you! Theres always next year!"

Talk about a proud Papa!!!!!!!

Back