• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mark Silver - Virginia Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to buy a Mark Silver - Virginia Rifle .
Jim Chambers wrote: Historically this rifle is closely derived from an original rifle of the James River Basin area of Virginia. The original rifle may date from as early as the 1740's.......
Had anyone of you ever saw this "James River Basin" Rifle?We know that the earliest dated Rifle is the Joh. Schreit 1761.
Jim Chambers sell it in two calibers: 58 and 62.I prefer the .62.I will portray a Longhunter ca.1760.
How is the degree of difficulty to build this rifle?
RK-8.jpg

:hatsoff:

This looks very similar in outline to a rifle made by Johanes Faber and it could very well be older than the Schriet rifle. If you can get a copy of Rifles of Colonial America Part Two it is number 117. The side plate is very different however. As an interesting side note it is claimed that the Faber rifle was carried in the American Civil War as many Confederates had to arm themselves with whatever they had. Maybe this could help explain why southern guns are so rare.

undertaker,

This rifle is modeled after the Johannes Faber rifle in RCA.
Originally, it was a .60 cal. Chambers' also offers it in that caliber.

I finished one a few months ago. I like the feel, and as with all of Jim's guns it handles very nicely.

Mine is a Getz barrel and is an absolute tack driver.
Very authentic, nicely designed piece.

Good luck
100_0611.jpg
MarkSilverVirginia001.jpg

Nice rifle Smallpatch. I have the parts sitting on my bench waiting for me to finish the infamous French Fusil Fin. I saw your original post awhile back when you built that gun and don't remember if you stated what you used to stain it with. How about the hardware? It appears it maybe the brown it, rub back, then cold blue, then rub back again treatment. Correct ????? And by the way, BARBI told me she is having trouble getting 60.cal barrels. I settled on 58. cal. The parts look great and the rifle when completed should handle very well. Thank you for any imput.

Pike,

The stain is LMF Nut Brown and American Walnut.
The finish on the metal is just what you said. Browned to achieve pitting, sanded off, then cold blued and rubbed back with oil and steel wool.
I'll try to attach another photo so you can see it better.

100_0613.jpg

100_0633.jpg

When I spoke with Barbie at Friendship last Spring she said that Getz is the only supplier of .60 cal barrels. She was hoping to get Rice to tool up and start making them. .60 cal is one of my favorites.

Regards, Dave

Back