• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Masonic mystery rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this right forum for this. Mods move at will. (like you need my permission? :wink: )

All Master Masons (Freemasons) here please note and help, if you can.
This rifle is displayed at the Historic Arkansas Museum, the official State museum. http://www.historicarkansas.org/collections/guns.aspx?id=98
I have seen the rifle many times. The rear sight is hidden, I have never been able to spot it. The rifle is in a glass case and I have never handled.
You will note the description partially states, "The rear sight is hidden (because he was a Mason) ". I am a Master Mason but do not understand why the rear sight had to be hidden. All I can surmise is this was a quirk the original owner or builder put on for his own amusement. However, if any other MMs can shed light on this mystery, please do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad there weren't anymore photos of that rifle. It sure looks interesting. Maybe the hidden rear sight could be found if there were several more shots of the rifle.

I liked the 1851 Colt shown in the link too. Notice the large front sight? The description also states the revolver has a leaf rear sight.

Possibly some sort of "tang sight" which could be hidden in the stock more easily?....Fred

Well it says Alla where the rear sight would be. I would guess that the Alla's eye was depended on to help him shoot straight. I don't suppose the builder expected the gun to get much use. If this was given to Sevier late in his life, his eyesight may not have been able to use a rear sight anyway.

So you have a metaphorical rear sight, which as you know can be a lot easier to sight in. :wink:

Many Klatch

Frank, I wonder who wrote the description of that rifle? If you could find out, maybe (s)he could explain what was implied. ManyKlatch may be right, may never have been a rear sight. And also Flehto suggesting a hidden fold-down tang sight. Is this a smooth rifle? At any rate, it is a nice looking rifle.

Rifleman1776 said:
Not sure if this right forum for this. Mods move at will. (like you need my permission? :wink: )

All Master Masons (Freemasons) here please note and help, if you can.
This rifle is displayed at the Historic Arkansas Museum, the official State museum. http://www.historicarkansas.org/collections/guns.aspx?id=98
I have seen the rifle many times. The rear sight is hidden, I have never been able to spot it. The rifle is in a glass case and I have never handled.
You will note the description partially states, "The rear sight is hidden (because he was a Mason) ". I am a Master Mason but do not understand why the rear sight had to be hidden. All I can surmise is this was a quirk the original owner or builder put on for his own amusement. However, if any other MMs can shed light on this mystery, please do.

I am also a master mason. To be honest I don't believe it is a "mason" inspired rifle. The square and compass should have been on there instead of "Alla"
The hidden sight for the masonic reason is a mystery to me. Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
That rifle is pictured in James Johnson's "Accouterments III". There are fourteen views of the gun. The write-up is word for word for word, what is written in the cutout. The sight is shown in two different views, one from the top, and one kind of a close-up shot, quartering in from the off lock side. Taste aside, the gun is extremely well made, including many little intricacies, including inlays in both wood and metal. There is no question in my mind that someone associated with this gun, either the builder or the Governor was a friend of Hiram. The easiest thing to do would be to take a picture of the two pictures in the book and post them, but I don't feel right about that. I've sat here stating at it for some time now and truly do not know to describe the rear sight in a way that anyone would understand what I am seeing, as it is the most peculiar looking functional sight I have ever seen. It is located just opposite of the frizzen. If you like, I will try to do a drawing of it as best I can, and photograph my humble attempt.
Robby

It might be fun to put a rear sight like that on one of my smoothbores :grin:

Many Klatch

Is the gun in the museum displayed as a percussion or flint? The original was made and supplied with parts to be used as either. Apparently, you've found a picture.
Robby

The blade appears to be between 1/32" and 1/16" thick, and also appears to nest in a rabbeted slot. What this has to do with "alla" or what that term means, I have no idea.
DSCN1111.jpg

Robby

Many Klatch, It would be speculative of me to know how the tool would be operative on the installation of your smoothbore sight, but they are here for you if needed. :grin:
DSCN1112.jpg

Robby

Well, if you hit something long enough and hard enough you can get almost anything to fit.

That rear sight in the drawing certainly shows a one-of-a-kind rear sight, sort of like having two front sights. I once shot a gun set up like that a long time ago, I can't remember why it was set up with a blade as the back sight though. It made it difficult to get your vertical hold right, horizontal though was easy. I guess with enough practice you could get used to it.

Many Klatch :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :grin:

Back