• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

matched pair of kentuckys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided on my next project.
A matched pair of kentucky pistols for my son.
As a welcome home gift from Iraq.. second tour.
I have to ask the forum, because I am not that familer with "matched pairs"
were they both right handed with a fitted case?
or should I build a lefty and a righty and then put them in a fitted case?
My brother in law, who is a wonderfull cabinent maker will build him a fitted case for free :thumbsup: as a gift
I would like to use a Oct/Rd barrel in 28 gauge or 54 cal. The barrel is going to be 10" long with a maple stock and small siler lock, a fitted case, lined in velvet, with a bullet mold from dixie.
Is this correct for the period of the 1790's to 1800?
I am not a PC nut, but want something that is correct.
Also what other parts would have been included in the case?
thanks as always
Mike

I might be wrong but a matched pair would seem to be both the same hand.

Sounds like a rather thoughtful gift to your son given where he has been.

Please thank your son for his service to our country for me.

Clutch

From what I have seen, a matched set of pistols or a "Brace" of pistols are identical pistols, not normally LH & RH. Usually in a very nice lined case & have all the essentials in same case, including ball mold, powder flask, patches tin, grease, primers (if percussion, spare flints if flintlock, cleaning tools, & etc.

A brace of Dueling Pistols, both are alike as not to give an advantage of one over the other & you give the person you have challenged his choice of one of the two..... :winking:

Don't forget to leave room in the case for the loading rod.
Even if the pistols have their own rods, a cased pistol often had a loading rod included.
Of course, it doesn't have to be as fancy as the carved Ivory one in the picture I was just looking at (That picture was of a cased set made for a King).
It could be rather plain like the one shown in this picture:
CASE2.jpg

The loading rod visible in three of the pictures is made out of hickory which was dyed black with a white porcelain knob to finish it out.

This knob was made for a drawer and has a threaded brass insert in it. It came with a brass screw and only set me back about $0.89.

To install it, I cut off the screw head and drilled a hole into the center of the rod.
I then epoxyed the screw in place. After the expoy set up, I screwed the knob in place. :)

Thanks
That answers my question. I will build him a couple of right handed ones
Regards
Yea he's a good kid.. I love giving him stuff like this.
He's doesn't look too had at all my errors :grin:

Here's a matched pair of english pistols I did for Martin's Station a couple years ago. Getz barrels, Chamber's locks. I did a pair with original dragoon barrels by Haylen years ago too, but I can't find my pictures of them. :(
pistols1.jpg

pistols5.jpg

pistols4.jpg

Mike,
Those are simply, beautiful pistols. Matt-My son- would love those to death. He is the kind of man that loves and cherishes finely made weapons.
Just added an oringinal springfield trap door carbine to his collection that includes a couple of nice Krags and an oringal colt Navey .36 C/B.
Have been trying to get him interested in flint, Build him a flawed 1792 contract, which even after I pointed out the flaws, he still loves.
Ordered parts for a couple of pistols, from different suppliers.
Have a couple of Maple stocks, 50 cal smoothbore oct/rd 11" barrels, large siler lock's and brass furniture, ordered and should be here in a few weeks
I do have a question about the parts in the case.
What type of powder despenser is correct?? A flask, or a horn?
I can get a bullet mold from DGW's and I think they stock the patch tin, etc. also.
regards
Mike

Mike, sounds like a fine thing to do for your son. Who's barrels are you going to use?

Bruce Everhart

I was kind of surprised to see this topic. It goes back a couple of years.
I finished the set. Here are a couple of pics.
It's a handmade maple case with all the fixing.
the pistols are .50 cal. Had a custom powder horn made for them as well.
This was for his 2nd tour. For his 3rd tour in Iraq, which is where he is now. I have an M1 GARAND that I rebuilt, with beautiful walnut and an engraved plague.
The pics don't show the plague.
Hope it's Ok to post a pic of them.

presentationcases005.jpg
[/img]
presentationcases012.jpg
[/img]
rebuiltM1s5.jpg
[/img]

Back