• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you matchlock shooters handle safety? It seems to me that handling black powder with a lit match nearby, would be a little hazardous, to say the least; especially the priming operation.

I've been thinking of getting one of these things myself and I would like to know how to shoot it without hurting myself.

Most seem to keep the hot match end in an empty ring-pull Coke can until the gun is primed and ready. Put a handfull of something heavy in the bottom so it doesn't fall over :thumbsup:

Trigger:

How do you matchlock shooters handle safety? It seems to me that handling black powder with a lit match nearby, would be a little hazardous, to say the least; especially the priming operation.

I've been thinking of getting one of these things myself and I would like to know how to shoot it without hurting myself.

This is what I do at the shooting range. Since I use hemp slowmatch I cut a piece off about the length of my pinky. Then the Matchlock\Handgonne\etc. is been loaded and primed. I then take a lighter and light the small piece of slowmatch. Placing the lit match on the serpentine (or linstock), I then aim and fire. Afterwards, I stamp out what little is left of the burning match and start over again.

This method when at a shooting range is safer and you don't waste slowmatch since it isn't burning while you are loading.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I wrote the following a while back for an article on handgonnes, but it can apply to Matchlocks as well.

I use the left hand, right hand method of safety with all forms of gonne ignition. I keep all ignition sources to my right, and all powder and powder charges to my left. I turn to my left to charge and prime my gonne. NEVER LOADING FROM A POWDER FLASK OR HORN! I reach to my right to grasp my selected method of ignition. Then, take aim and give fire.

You can switch the sides to suit your need, as gonnes are generally held under the left armpit and in the left hand, and ignited by an ignition source held in the right hand.

CP

I REALLY BEEN WANTING TO GET A MATCH-LOCK HAVE NEVER SHOT ONE BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IMPRESSED :bow: BY THEM ,IS THERE A BOOK TO HELP GET YOU AQUANTIED, WITH THEM .I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING FLINTLOCKS FOR ABOUT 30YRS SO MABEY ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE :thumbsup:

I have a sword at the firing line to put the lit match I load behing the line, move up to the line, put the match in, fire, remove match, put on sword, go back and reload. for hunting I use 6" pieces, I usually am sitting so I set the match beside me on a piece of wood until I see the animal I'm hunting then put the match in the serpintine and harvest the game

:bow: CP I like your idea as to separating the components in that manner.. My friends often laugh when they see me set up my reloading equipment from left to right with powder & measure, patches, lube, ball and then starter, with caps/prime at the shooting point. They love to rearrange it for me while I am shooting---but let's count how many dryballs between us. Any Slow Match gun requires that extra safety due to the presence of a source of ignition. Whilst I don't own a Matchlock, as of yet, I shoot my .60 calibre handgonne and frankly the presence of the slowmatch makes me all the more careful Thanks for adding your expertise to our knowledge base. :thumbsup:

Whether I am doing demos at RenFaire or am at the rifle range I use an assistant. My assistant holds the lit match (about 10 feet away in the demos) until I am ready to cock it.

I always put my burning slowmatch in a steel jar with holes were it gets air to keep it propely burning.
I am VERRY careful with my primer-container it is to my opinnion a small bomb.
After priming my pan I first put the container in a box with the lit closed and than take the slowmatch out of the jar so while firing my gun there can get no spaks on it.
It would be not the first time sparks would ignite
the primingcontainer

Hope this will help.

Gunman100 said:
I always put my burning slowmatch in a steel jar with holes were it gets air to keep it propely burning.
Something like this can do the work! Doesnt has to be a "Coke" Robin :grin:
IMG_1027.jpg

BTW Gunman: 95 in Hizadai, Bordeaux was good! Myself made a try in the original events :winking:
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back