• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matt and The New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So my son Matt this year suddenly got interested in shooting. I mean suddenly. I've taken him to the range before as a youngster, and he wasn't too keen. Turns out he didn't like the noise and the kick, well mostly the noise, and it was the noise from the other guns being shot at the range that mostly bothered him. He didn't mention that to me until this year.

Last time he wanted to come with me was five years ago as a 12 year old. We had fun but afterwards, every time I asked if he wanted to come to the range he wasn't into it to go. I don't force either of my kids to shoot nor to come with me to the woods..., (imho) I want them to have a desire to be there, not to think of either activity as a chore or punishment. Well he's growed some, and is now 17, so in March he asked if we could shoot some of my modern guns (rifles). He's into some of those online, WWII first-person-shooter games and such. (to those games I say "bah humbug")

So we've been shooting an SKS, and I let him get some custom parts like a modern stock, and a scope and such. (HEY guys feeding them new fangled self loaders can get expensive! WHO KNEW?) We were sighting the SKS in yesterday, (relax folks this IS about shooting a caplock..., wait for it...) and I brought my .54 flintlock (Trudy) along, as well as my .54 TC New Englander caplock.

In the past, Matt didn't like Trudy much, as he's not used to such a long rifle (and she's only got a 38" barrel :shake: ) The New Englander, is much shorter than the flinter, and it's a caplock so is better in very damp conditions. In fact it's my backup rifle IF I've got limited days off to hunt, and for whatever reason the weather is really damp (especially this week in October which is early ML Deer season starting in the morning.) October is still hurricane and tropical storm season, and we've had some blustery, damp, Early ML Deer seasons in the past. :wink:

So after banging away for an hour and adjusting his scope out to 100 yards, (and even though it was milsurp ammo, I SWEAR I could hear the faint sound of a cash register every time he pulled that trigger :shocked2: )..., it was time to do some BP.

I wanted to double check Trudy's sights. I've switched over from GOEX right now to Graf's 3Fg..., and I found with the Graf's BP ( which is Scheutzen with Graf's label upon it) my rifle hit 3" low. So I upped my load from 70 grains to 80 grains to correct the impact of my .530 round ball. I was then good to go for deer tomorrow, and then it was Matt's turn on the New Englander.

So I showed him how it loads, and instructed him on half-cock and full-cock, and placing a cap and whatnot. He was a little apprehensive. I told him it wouldn't kick any more than the modern rifle, and he did need to be aware that the trigger was very different from the modern rifle, so he had to take his time.

The rifle was on a rest on the bench and he shouldered it and followed the basics..., and BOOOM!..., she went off without a problem. With the New Englander, at 50 yards with 70 grains of Graf's 3Fg and a .530 patched round ball, he cut the ten ring at the 11 o'clock mark. (So proud :grin: ) All he said was, " Hey I like this!" (Gee young man you mean after all that banging away with the SKS, you admit the BP single shot rifle might actually be fun? :wink: ) His second shot, he hit the 9 ring at 6 o'clock, and his last shot was a flyer, but he "called" it when he fired, that it was a flyer. We had to then call it quits due to fading light. :(

Since we're in an area of my state where his choices for deer hunting with a firearm are shotgun or muzzleloader..., he's going to have to use the New Englander, but I think he'll find it more than adequate. :wink: We've also found out he needs a little vision correction, and some range time, so he won't be going out with me until regular deer season ( with the caplock and I with Trudy; We hunt deer with ML's !)

So it took a while to get him interested in marksmanship, and then with the BP rifle. When leaving the range he said, "I was surprised. That rifle [the New Englander] is really accurate."
VICTORY!

Then as we drove home he said, "Hey dad what sort of scope goes on the caplock?"
:doh: GADZOOKS!
Well I expect that with some prescription shooting glasses, he will find the iron sights just fine for hunting and shooting. (Geesh they're adjustable even..., what more does a person want?)

LD

:thumbsup: Great news, but.............start hiding yer favorites, seems when my son was bout that age he started having use for some of my guns and they were "inherited" early :surrender:

As you know, in certain circumstances, scopes were and are HC/PC, such as on the Whitworth rifle.

Glad he's coming around to front stuffers. It usually takes a while, but BP is the sort of thing that you tend to gravitate in to after doing about everything else there is to do in firearms.

I view the cost for a suppository cartridge and a ML'er shot as being relative parity, right around $0.40-$0.50 a shot (close to what milsurp ammo runs). The advantage to ML'ers is that you just can't burn through it the way you can with cartridges.

If you get him in to ML'ing artillery, then you will find out how expensive it is to shoot them too, but they pale in comparison to NFA DD's and their ammo! Beware.

Kudos in getting a convert . . . mostly. He may outgrow the scope thing. ;-)

The T/C New Englander is a sweet little carbine.

I have one in .50 that I used during regular deer season here in shotgun slug land for a dozen years or better.

Congratulations Dave.
How is he doing with cleaning BP rifles..???
One step at a time.... :thumbsup:

I view the cost for a suppository cartridge and a ML'er shot as being relative parity, right around $0.40-$0.50 a shot (close to what milsurp ammo runs). The advantage to ML'ers is that you just can't burn through it the way you can with cartridges.

While that's sorta true where I am, when on the target range (the milsurp runs .26 a shot, the ML runs .16), when it comes to hunting, since we only use shotgun slugs in modern rifles where I am, and the slugs that shoot well enough to be use for hunting are running about .85 per shot..., the ML is still .16 (if I use ball that I cast, otherwise with store bought ball it's .21)

When the kid likes to bang away five boxes of milsurp, you're talking $26 for him, while a long day at the range with the ML's and you're talking a mere $9 for both of us shooting..., and he likes to go shooting a lot. (not a complaint) I've been to the range more times this year than I have in the previous five years combined.

Once his modern rifle is "completed" then we will concentrate on ML's. Also going to get him those glasses next week. If I can work it to get him into a position to bag a deer with the ML..., I bet he's going to be less enamored with the modern stuff.

:wink:

LD

Good on ya! Next thing you know he’ll be asking if he should go with a cocked hat or a round one :grin:

Back