• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MAV Hawken 50 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently acquired my first muzzleloader. It is a 50 ca. made in Italy as I understand it was made by MAV which are out of business. I have tried the Italian websites asking for help with an owners manual or any information and after 2 weeks without a reply, I figured I should start looking here in the US and found you guys.
Can anyone help me out?

Thank you,

Never heard of a MAV before so I looked it up. The patchbox was the give away. This gun has been sold under many brands. I've seen them listed as Lyman, Navy Arms, and other brands, but the exact same gun. Now, the ones I've seen were listed on GunBroker. If Italian I'm guessing it could have been made by Armi-Sport or somebody like that. Allegedly they are pretty decent guns. I think I've seen pictures of them posted here in the forum. If you can, please post a couple pictures here. Specially of the patch box. Although it has been sold under many names, it was a pretty common and popular gun once so I'm sure somebody that has one or knows more about them will see your pictures and chime in. Sorry I couldn't offer more info.

Never heard of a MAV before so I looked it up. The patchbox was the give away. This gun has been sold under many brands. I've seen them listed as Lyman, Navy Arms, and other brands, but the exact same gun. Now, the ones I've seen were listed on GunBroker. If Italian I'm guessing it could have been made by Armi-Sport or somebody like that. Allegedly they are pretty decent guns. I think I've seen pictures of them posted here in the forum. If you can, please post a couple pictures here. Specially of the patch box. Although it has been sold under many names, it was a pretty common and popular gun once so I'm sure somebody that has one or knows more about them will see your pictures and chime in. Sorry I couldn't offer more info.
IMG_7174.jpg
IMG_7176.jpg
IMG_7175.jpg

Thanks for posting. When I looked up MAV it showed a different rifle. Pretty much the same gun but with a different patch box. That box looks like what Investarms uses. What stamps are on the barrel? If it's an Investarms they do make a pretty good rifle. I've had a few and they were all fine guns. I found a website a couple years ago where you could buy parts for them but don't remember who it was. If that's what yours is I'll see if I saved that site on my computer.

Depends on the twist. Good chance it is 1:48 so will shoot balls or other. All the investarms guns I've had shot ball very well. Can't attest to any other bullet design as I've only shot round balls in my years of doing this.
I still have not been able to verify the model # but from what I have found it does have a 1:48 twist.

I still have not been able to verify the model # but from what I have found it does have a 1:48 twist.
Ill post a picture of the stamp on mine after while and we'll see if yours has the same stamp. Mine is a trade rifle, not a Hawken, but they should have the same stamp. The serial number should indicate what year it was made but I don't know how the do date codes.

The 1:48 twist is kind of a compromise. If you wanted to shoot nothing but bullets you'd want a fast twist like 1:20. Round ball only you're looking at slow twist like 1:66. The 48 was meant to handle both so you should be able to go either way. I guess it would be a medium twist.

The 1:48 twist is kind of a compromise. If you wanted to shoot nothing but bullets you'd want a fast twist like 1:20. Round ball only you're looking at slow twist like 1:66. The 48 was meant to handle both so you should be able to go either way. I guess it would be a medium twist.
Thanks for all of your insight as I am lost in this ML world right now.

Latest posts

Back