• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Max roundball range for deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran49829

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm using a 50 cal Traditions Hawken style rifle, 1:66 twist, .495 ball, .018 pillow tick patch, bore button, and 70 grs 777 FFG which is equal to about 80 grs of Pyrodex RS. I get 3" groups at 50 yds, and 6" groups at 100 yards. I haven't tried 75 yards yet as the target frames are frozen into the ground and can't be moved but should get somewhere around 4.5" groups.

I feel I should probably limit my double lung shots on deer to 75 yards. What do you think? I don't know for sure if I have enough energy at 100 yards and 6" groups aren't very inspiring.

I have experience with 68 grains of RS in the rifle and at 50 yards the roundball goes right through even large deer.

Fran

With a ML if I can cover a 5 shot group with an open hand I consider that minute of deer.

With my bow or a center fire 5 shots covered with my fist is minute of deer.

That load you are using will put a whipping on the average whitetail out to 100 yds or so.

With primitive sights I limit my shots to 60-70 yds, with my peep sights I can stretch that out to 110-120 yds.

I use a .54 or a .62 for most of my deer hunting with full house loads - 95+ gr fff .

That being said I have also taken them with 55 gr.

The PRB is an amazing killing machine - hit em in the lungs and they expire. The only advantage of the extra power of the full house loads is it increases the chance of an exit wound and a slightly better blood trail

IMHO

I've killed Deer at 100 yards with a roundball but didn't get full penetration.I've killed Deer at 50 yards and did get a complete pass through but not much of a[url] trail.In[/url] my opinion a deer hit in the "Boiler room" with a RB is going to run some,I'm comfortable/Confident with shots under 75 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
A roundball shot from a good rifle can be accurate at quite a long range. Timothy Murphy is said to be a hero of the Battle of Saratoga because he shot British General Fraser off his horse from 300 yards. The general died, but not right away. Partly due to that one shot, the Americans won the battle.
I, myself, have hit a 12" round steel gong at 300 yards with my .50 - but I wouldn't take a shot at game at that range.

However besides accuracy, another very important factor to consider for long range shots is the energy left in the ball. Roundballs lose velocity and energy very quickly.

Now, I'm just a poor country boy and I don't go in for any high-filluting techno gadgets. My simple method of testing for killing power with my roundball guns is to set up a section of pine 2x8 plank and shoot it. I figure if the ball passes completely through the 2x8 at 100 yards then I can rely on it to also pass completely through a deer at that same range. I want the ball to go clean through a deer. I think it makes for a better blood trail. If the roundball only passes through the pine board at 75 yards, but not at 100, then I'll use that caliber on deer for ranges of 75 yards or less.

From my own, very un-scientific testing methods, combined with my use of open iron sights and my old eyes, here is my own self-imposed limitations on using roundballs for deer size game animals:
.45 - 50 yards
.50 - 75 yards
.54 - 100 yards
I also sometimes use a .62 smoothbore. With this weapon I limit my shots at big game to 50 yards or less because of the lack of accuracy this gun has at any longer ranges.
IMHO

Rancocas said:
From my own, very un-scientific testing methods, combined with my use of open iron sights and my old eyes, here is my own self-imposed limitations on using roundballs for deer size game animals:
.45 - 50 yards
.50 - 75 yards
.54 - 100 yards
I also sometimes use a .62 smoothbore. With this weapon I limit my shots at big game to 50 yards or less because of the lack of accuracy this gun has at any longer ranges.
IMHO
100% on the money !!! Including testing procedures. :thumbsup: :applause:
sniper

Rancocas' limits seems conservative (and I like that). I'd grant a .45 better than 50 yards but I've never owned one so that's just based on what others say.

Never shoot further than you've practiced and are confident at, and if the shot doesn't feel right don't take it. 90% of my shots are inside 50 yards and the one "long range" round ball shot I ever took was 112 paces with a .54 percussion Renegade and 90 gr 2Fg on a bedded buck that I had a solid rest (and a set trigger). I doubt I'd try to duplicate that shot now with my .54 flintlock (which I also load lighter), but if I had a similar log to use as a rest and it felt right at the time I might. My eyes were noticably better back then but I still practice at 100 yards and know where the ball will strike.

Speaking only for myself and from my own experiences, the longer the range the less the margin for error. Said another way, the further off the deer, the easier to mess up.

Hunting was tough this year so I put away my 50 with primitive sight and dug out my 54 with a reciever sight to be able to stretch the range if required. Did a whole bunch of shooting at 100 yards, producing 2.5-3" groups pretty reliably. I'd sure be able to do fine on any deer that far out.

My hunting pard spotted a nice little buck standing broadside and generously gave me the shot. I even had time to laser the distance and find a rest for the shot. It was 97 yards, and the stupid thing simply stood there and watched my preparations. Good solid rest, my hand between it and the gun just like on the range. Set the trigger and nice smooth breathing. Good side picture, let out half a breath, squeeze gently and BAM.

The smoke cleared and that sucker was standing right where he'd been, looking back at me wondering what was going on.

He stood and watched while I flapped my elbows and cussed through a reload, all the time analyzing why I had missed. I was just drawing the ramrod out of the bore and he took two steps and disappeared into the spruce.

Why had I missed? He was downhill about 45 degrees as well as 100 yards away. I'm sure I shot right over his back. All my practice had been on flat ground.

The scary part for me is that I could just as well have wounded that deer. I thought I had my feces rolled into tight little balls all lined up in a neat row, and one little mistake caused a miss. In spite of the error I doubt I'd have missed at 75 yards, and I'm sure I'd have hit at 50.

i have shot deer with a .45 with 55 gr 3f at 100 yards. never lost one. but i will say 6" groups at that range leave a lot to be desired.

From My own expierence in Pa's dense woods, my max range is 50 yds with any cal. the law allows. Really the main limatation is your eyesight and ability. !00 yds is a really long shot with a flintlock with iron sights. Given the oppertunity I would probably not take the shot, even though I shoot flint guns competetively. I feel the game animal deserves my best shot to cleanly harvest the animal.

Thanks for the advice and info. 75 yards sounds like a good max range if I can consistently get under 4.5" groups. If not I will stay with my proven 60 grs 777 FFG which is plenty accurate at 50 yards (IMHO more powder is not needed at 50 yards with my 50 cal roundball rifle). I had forgotten how great my rifle feels and handles--it has a certain charm which none of my other firearms have including fancy inlines.

Fran

From my experience with terminal performance, that's a good load for deer. And from my experience with primitive sights, that's a good range limit. Sounds like a winner to me.

Back