• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi-Ball Diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older TC mold, 50 cal. and have always thought it to be a bit small in diameter. Loaded way to easy, so I checked the diameter and found it cast a slug with a base diameter of .498, same fot the second ring and the top with a diameter of .502-.503.

Several years back, I made a cutter to open the top two rings. The base is unchanged at .498, middle ring is .502. and the top is .512-.513.

I pushed one thru my barrel swedger and The middle rings shows some rifleing and the top shows some slight scuff marks along with the rifleing. As luck would have it, just as I planned! Yea, right! :)

I had kind of forgot about the ole maxi-ball till I shot some with wads under the bases. It really seems to help, I had two groups just over 2"s at 100yds.[115 grains of FF for my Elk rifle] I hope the bigger bases will work even better, if not, I always enjoy using bullets that I cast! :D

I will keep you updated on my grouping.

What diameter are some of the other brand maxi-ball molds?

I have an older TC mold, 50 cal. and have always thought it to be a bit small in diameter. Loaded way to easy, so I checked the diameter and found it cast a slug with a base diameter of .498, same fot the second ring and the top with a diameter of .502-.503.

It is suppose to be that way...

It helps in the loading process, once fired though, the rear and middle bands expand to fill the grooves and seal the bore...

The force of the powder going off does this and it all takes place within an inch or so of traval in the bore...

It is suppose to be that way...
Yes, they are suppose to be easy to load, just not that easy! .oo2 is not much to hold one down on a clean barrel! Bigger is better? Right! Well we shall see, even if they don't group any better , they sure do fit nicely down the tube!

When you can drop it from three inches above the muzzle and the ball falls to the bottom, it is too loose! :hmm:

T/c's rifling isn't that deep to begin with, I have seen some maxiballs slide the whole length of the tube...

The top band is suppose to hold them in place until the gun is fired, and they do unless a design cahnge has taken place since I used them with the .54 Renegade...

I recommend an Ox Yoke prelubed felt wad over the powder when shooting Maxi-Balls. I've examined the bases of fired Maxi's recovered from a soft earth berm that showed gas cutting of the first band at the base of the bullet. That can't help accuracy. Using wads cured base cutting. I can't quantify an increase in accuracy but I also can't imagine it hurt it any.

Gas cutting the base destroys accuracy! I just shot some of my oversized maxi-balls and had my best group to date with a hunting load. I tried to shoot when the breeze was about the same. At 100 yds I had 3 shots at 1 3/8" using 115FF. :)
TCmaxi.jpg

Gas cutting the base destroys accuracy! I just shot some of my oversized maxi-balls and had my best group to date with a hunting load. I tried to shoot when the breeze was about the same. At 100 yds I had 3 shots at 1 3/8" using 115FF. :)

Excellent shooting...
I always use tight fitting (next caliber size) wonderwads with any full power load whether it's round ball or a maxi to minimize blowby, cutting, etc...makes a significant difference in consistency, accuracy, and reduced fouling for me
:redthumb:

Probably doesn't matter to you now, but in my .45 the TC maxi mold was casting at .451 / .452. The almost same Lyman mold cast them at .455/.456.
I think TC barrels are a bit tighter than most others in the industry.
Years ago had a TC that worked well with .440 ball and tick patch. .445 was way too tight. Went through a few more non-TC .45's and all of them wanted .445 balls with the same patch.
Don't know if the .50's and .54's are the same way, but would assume so. Then again, as other's mentioned maybe it was just the depth of the rifling(?). :m2c:

Probably doesn't matter to you now, but in my .45 the TC maxi mold was casting at .451 / .452. The almost same Lyman mold cast them at .455/.456.

That info might help someone else in there decision on what mold to buy, Thanks!

Back