• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi ball lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
What is a good lube for maxi balls, i used to use the TC lube and started using the bore butter this morning. What can ya use that isn`t so messy to apply, would crisco alone work?
Thanks for any tips.

I tried the search first but didn`t find much, i imagine this has been covered before. :)

No, it is a lube that Stumpkiller makes. The recipe for it has been posted a bunch of times. Do a search for moose snot, It works good.

Rebel said:
No, it is a lube that Stumpkiller makes. The recipe for it has been posted a bunch of times. Do a search for moose snot, It works good.

Couldn`t get the search to work past first page and i think your pulling my leg, never mind i`ll use the bore butter.

Check this thread out. The recipe is in it.[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...296426/hl/Stumpkiller+moose+snot/#296426[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the one.

A premium multi-shot between wiping (10+) patch lube stable over a wide temperature range.
SPECIFICALLY designed for use of patched round balls in a loading block

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a soup can set a pot of water. ( A double-boiler. I keep my beeswax in a one pound coffee can and measure out what I need by melting it and pouring it into measuring cups). Add just enough water so the inner can does not begin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can). Heat the water to a low boil. In a separate can, add the castor oil and Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the castor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up. Stir with an ice tea spoon as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe the water off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when you pour it out). FINAL TOP SECRET STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of a vice-grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a half hour.

This sounds pretty simple also.

just use Crisco or Olive Oil and you'll be fine. Olive Oil also works as a bore oil too and you can use it on leather and wipe down your stock with it. Olive Oil truly is a "magic" oil.

Tell me if i missed something but all i seen was recomended for a patch lube, my question was is there something that i can use as a maxi ball lube that isn`t as messy as bore butter. :)

Try dipping them in a tub of G0-Jo, GOOP, or Permatex white hand cleaner, works well.felt wad over powder is a good idea tho, as it is a little damp.

Thanks.
What is the reason a commercial bullet lube for modern firearms won`t work, nice and waxy and easy to put on by hand or in a re-sizer.

The Moose Snot is thick enough to use for Maxi's if anybody really wanted to shoot those things instead of a good old round ball. :grin:

Rebel said:
The Moose Snot is thick enough to use for Maxi's if anybody really wanted to shoot those things instead of a good old round ball. :grin:

Ok, thanks Rebel :hatsoff:
I have a bunch of maxi balls i molded up years back and want to give them a try in this new gun.
No getting around the mess with BP, but that`s part of the fun. :)

TC's .45cal / 255grn Maxi-Hunter is an absoulte tack driver in TCs 1:48" barrels and is the only conical I use if I use one...but I lube them with TC's Natural Lube 1000 and it works great.

Yes, a little messy...the way I get around it is to lube up a couple boxes of them using a TC pre-luber that screws onto a tube of NL1000...let them drop out onto a piece of wax paper, then set them back into the plastic box for range use.

For hunting, I use a couple of TC's 4-N-1 Quick Shot pocket reloaders which keeps the mess contained inside each one...works great.

roundball said:
TC's .45cal / 255grn Maxi-Hunter is an absoulte tack driver in TCs 1:48" barrels and is the only conical I use if I use one...but I lube them with TC's Natural Lube 1000 and it works great.

Yes, a little messy...the way I get around it is to lube up a couple boxes of them using a TC pre-luber that screws onto a tube of NL1000...let them drop out onto a piece of wax paper, then set them back into the plastic box for range use.

For hunting, I use a couple of TC's 4-N-1 Quick Shot pocket reloaders which keeps the mess contained inside each one...works great.

I`ll check into some of that stuff, when the weather clears i`m going to shoot some of the maxi balls and see how they group. That is if i can do my part. :)
Thanks.

Bees wax & crisco 50/50 mix, then pan lube them. Works good for me, they aren't all slimey or to sticky. Load nice, even after 20-30 rounds with no swabbing the barrel. Do a search for "goatlips" he has a website shows you pic on how to do it all. Hope that helps you out. :winking:

PitchyPine said:
Rebel said:

Couldn`t get the search to work past first page and i think your pulling my leg, never mind i`ll use the bore butter.

:rotf: I am a figment of Rebel's twisted imagination. :rotf:

Works in b/p revolvers over the balls to lube and prevent chainfires, too. NL1000 is good but messy and stains everything that ghastly yellow.

I seen your name, no doubt about your exsistance, it was the name of the recipe that got me wondering and doubting. may have to give it a try. :)

Back