• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi Hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Roundball posted questions about a source for Maxi Hunters in 45 cal, but I have a larger question- both in caliber and context.

I picked up a box of the lighter (435 grain) version in 54 caliber and just returned from shooting them in my Lyman GPR with its slow twist. As you would expect for approximately doubling bullet weight (compared to a 225 grain RB) with the same powder charge (75 grains of FFFg), they pack noticeably more geewhiz on the back end. I had expected them to hit higher than the RB's on the paper at 50 yards, but they hit about a foot lower. Is that consistent with other folks experience? Wondering if increasing or decreasing the charge will move them more toward my sight-in point with RB's.

At that velocity they grouped around 3 inches at 50 yards, pretty much consistent with my eyes and sights. Not great, but no keyholing. Didn't try them at 100 yards, but the holes looked really clean at 50.

Also wondering about their performance on game. Has anyone recovered some from game? Do they expand as advertized? I doubt if I will use them for hunting our small deer, but I'm asking for the same reason I bought the box in the first place: Just kinda wondering.

BB, anytime you increase the weight your going to have to increase the charge to get up to POA. Try a 100 or you might want to go to 2f and go to 120 or more. If the recoil gets too heavy you might try a lower front sight or a higher rear sight instead of increasing the powder.

Thanks Deadeye. That makes some sense.

I had been assuming it would be like switching to a heavier, slower bullet in a handgun, which exits the bore later in the recoil cycle and hits higher on the target. With 75 grains of FFF the recoil reminds me of shooting standard 1 1/4-ounce shot loads in a modern 12 gauge pump gun, so boosting the charge up won't be unbearable. After all, I'm shooting 2-ounce loads for geese in a 3 1/2-inch 12gauge (almost 900 grains of shot at 1300+ fps) and calling it fun.

Anyone recovered any of them from game, or are they still flying out the far side?

Back