• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maximum loads for 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, folks compressing 50+gr in a Remington chamber? How about 80+ in a Walker? Not that I really care . . . I was just comparing the "suggestions" I get sometimes when I offer info about 45acp+'s from my '60 Army's - "I'd just get a _ _ _ _ _ if I wanted to do that . . .

Nothing ill against you.
Mike
When I read of extreme powder charges like this I figure it’s due to powder measures that throw much lighter than they state. The cheapy measure I got in my revolver kit from Cabelas is like this. My rifle measures throw close to what they weigh (30 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford weighs about 32.5 grns, and possibly pretty dang spot on were I measuring 2F).

Now Triple 7 and Pyrodex seem to be more compressible. I can get 45 grns of T7 in my Ruger with a ball but Olde E will leave my projectile poking out.

I’ve been curious what an absolute full chamber holds in my NMA. I’ve seen it stated it’s just under or up to 40 grns and then we read of people squishing huge powder charges in theirs. Of course powders don’t all weigh the same. Olde E and Swiss are much more dense than standard Goex, Schuetzen, and the others.

Last edited:
Well, folks compressing 50+gr in a Remington chamber? How about 80+ in a Walker? Not that I really care . . . I was just comparing the "suggestions" I get sometimes when I offer info about 45acp+'s from my '60 Army's - "I'd just get a _ _ _ _ _ if I wanted to do that . . .

Nothing ill against you.
Mike
It’s been a while but I’ve seen some of the conversations concerning the “need” to use cowboy action only in conversion cylinders, and how it’s not so. It doesn’t even pass the sniff test really. Why would my percussion cylinder be capable of handling so much more and not be constrained equally so?

I sent some very heavy but short bullets I designed with very long driving bands for my Ruger as a Ruger-only type projectile (it weighs 285 grns and is barely longer than Lee’s 255 grn bullet). A guy loaded his Walker up with a max charge of 52 grns of Pyrodex P and it blew his chamber wall completely gone. Thankfully he wasn’t injured and was able to find another cylinder.

https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-285C
How did those 285 grain bullets do in your ruger? Were these for a ruger old Army?

Back