• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maybe we're compensating for something...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What do you like in a muzzleloading rifle, long or short barrels?

Long: 40 inches or longer
Short: 39 inches and under...

I like the long barrel firearm, the longer the better...

If I could find a 50 inch barrel for a .36 caliber squirrel rifle, I would try to shoot it... (could just use the barrel to knock them out of the trees) :haha:

What do you prefer?

Does caliber determend barrel length for you?

well, maybe we are compensating....but I have a 44 inch barreled .54, a 48 inch .50, and a 48 inch .60 smooth. At one time I one time I had a 56 inch in 20 guage....dutch doglock that made the cover of Muzzle Blasts.

I own one Jaeger of 31 inches...guess it is o k , but old eyes can sure take advantage of the longer sight radius.

No further comment forthcoming on the compensation thing...but I have had no complaints so far....

All Mine are in the "short" category...half stocked hawken types with 32" barrels...so far, so good

Yeah, eyesight. A longer barrel gets up closer to my nose so I can see to load it, and the front sight is closer to the target (so the ball has less chance to wander between me and the critter).

I just ordered a 44 incher.

Interesting question MM. Right now I'm in the "shorty" bunch because I don't currently own a Pennsylvania/Kentucky/Southern Mountain style rifle. A error of omission I intend to remedy in the next year or so. I can't put my finger on exactly what I want. I'm thinking a TVA Southern Mountain, flint in 36 or 40 cal. but that may change before the day is over.

Even so my "shortys" are on the long side of short.

Vic

Isnt there a point whear too long of a barrel in a given cal will loose velocity?I remember this being discused on the old dead shooters board sometime[url] back.sumin[/url] about too long of barrel can cause drag on the ball and loose velocity compared to a barrel that was a just right.What would be just right i have no idea. :haha:
My gpr is a 32 incher i belive but i would like to step up into the 40+ class someday. ::

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt there a point whear too long of a barrel in a given cal will loose velocity?

As long as the powder pushes the projectile the full length of the barrel, there will be no drag...

If the powder's pressure is exhausted before the projectile exits the barrel, then yes, drag will set in and velocity will suffer...

Small charges and long barrels could yeild these results. One would need to work out loads that will give the bullet a hearty push the full length of the barrel and conserve powder...

Once the projectile has left the barrel, there is no need for the powder to still push, if there is too much powder for the barrel's length, you should see a MUZZLE FLASH and see specks of powder on the ground in front of the muzzle...

Then you need just back the load off a bit...

if there is too much powder for the barrel's length, you should see a MUZZLE FLASH and see specks of powder on the ground in front of the muzzle...

Then you need just back the load off a bit...

It's easier to see if you shoot over fresh snow.

or you could just use a chronograph and remove all doubt, thus again proving the "point of dimishing return".

Vic

Another idea to see if unburned powder is on the ground in front of you and is really good for the cardiovascular system is to "borrow" that white table cloth your wife has stored in the hall closet.
Hopefully by the time she catches you, she will be too tired to do any real damage to the top of your head. :D

Another idea to see if unburned powder is on the ground in front of you and is really good for the cardiovascular system is to "borrow" that white table cloth your wife has stored in the hall closet.

You mean the one with all the burn, I mean moth marks on it...

Back towards topic, I asked my brothers and they both like the short barrels, around 28 inches thereabouts...

Back