• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maynard carbine help/recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a very nice Maynard carbine a week ago. I promptly ordered brass cases and thought that I could just use bullets from my Eras Gone Smith carbine mold. But after slugging the Maynard bore I think I need a new plan. The Smith bullets are .520+/- but the groove-to-groove distance of the Maynard is only .5070-.5075. I don’t know how much larger (if any) the bullets should be but that seems excessive, right? Sooooooo, if y’all could help I need recommendations for:
  1. A bullet mold that is more or less historically correct.
  2. The appropriate sizing die for my bore.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Lots of Maynard help to be had on the N-SSA website bulletin board. www.n-ssa.net. That sounds like extremely shallow rifling. The groove to groove dimension should be around .515-.518. Assuming it's a three groove barrel, did you measure the slug correctly? They're difficult to get an accurate reading on without a 3 anvil micrometer. It sounds to me like you may have measured across a land to a groove.

Back