• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mean while in the UK.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great looking red fox. :hatsoff:

Were you calling blind or did you see him off a ways and then call? I've called in numerous coyotes over the years by simply squeaking with my lips. Doesn't even sound like any prey in particular, but it sure gets them to stop and come in looking, if they can hear it. Took one with my bow earlier in the fall...too early for the fur to be any good, but was glad to get a female killed...a few litters that will never happen.

I'm with you on trying to eat one. :barf:

Beautiful fox! I've been gunning for one to tan and make a hat out of (or a coyote) but no luck so far.

Cool! :hatsoff: I was reading a few weeks ago that Red Foxes were introduced to the USA when we were colonies. Our native fox is the Gray Fox.

Jethro224 said:
Good shootin'. :thumbsup:

I saw a Youtube video of two guys cooking and eating a coyote. They both came to the conclusion that it tasted like duck. Fox probably tastes like Teal. :haha:

Fixed your itchy clicker finger thing. No problem.
Cheers kind Sir :thumbsup:

Spikebuck said:
That's a great looking red fox. :hatsoff:

Were you calling blind or did you see him off a ways and then call? I've called in numerous coyotes over the years by simply squeaking with my lips. Doesn't even sound like any prey in particular, but it sure gets them to stop and come in looking, if they can hear it. Took one with my bow earlier in the fall...too early for the fur to be any good, but was glad to get a female killed...a few litters that will never happen.

I'm with you on trying to eat one. :barf:
It seemed a little quiet than normal so I wondered if one was about. I soon heard a cock pheasant what we call cocking up! Alarmed.
I moved in expecting to be to late but no there he was, moving away about 150yds away. I tucked Tia in some cover, squealed and when I peeped him coming got down low myself.
The expression on its face I have seen many times but not down a flintlock barrel!
Sure I had a small cub last spring but not a smart adult.
Oh and yes congrats with the bow, something Ihave not done, yet!

B.

BritsmoothyThe expression on its face I have seen many times but not down a flintlock barrel! B.[/quote said:
I would like a photo of that expression because it is absolutely priceless. It shows just how intelligent they are because they know this is it.
It is sort of shock mixed with some disappointment & resignation & when I see that look it definitely is over for Reynard; He knows it & I know it too.
The sort of thing you only see at very short range, like 7 yards.

19 16 6 said:
Britsmoothy said:
The expression on its face I have seen many times but not down a flintlock barrel!
B.
I would like a photo of that expression because it is absolutely priceless. It shows just how intelligent they are because they know this is it.
It is sort of shock mixed with some disappointment & resignation & when I see that look it definitely is over for Reynard; He knows it & I know it too.
The sort of thing you only see at very short range, like 7 yards.
That's the one bud, bit like a dog when it knows it has done wrong :thumbsup:

B.

I once ran across a new hunting friend who used the same kind of call. During one of the more antimated relating of one of his hunting stories, I noticed scars on the back of his hand and seemingly matching scars on his cheek. Later, I asked one of our mutual friends what the story was on those scars. According to the friend, the other friend with the scars hasd been calling in a fox by sucking (or blowing) on his hand to make a squeeling noise. Suddenly, an owl came swooping down to grab the injured "fox" and, instead, grabbed the man making the calling noise. Both were quite surprised and the owl beat a hasty retreat leaving the caller to treat his serious wounds.

Thats so very cool that we here in the US have the opportunity to identify with the kills with such familiarity, invasive species though they are. The Brits gave us the Red Fox and all we traded back was the Gray squirrel. Interesting how pure the strain of red fox is centuries later, gray fox too but we have mutts as well..the last 2 i've seen behind the house were both shaggy muddy colored critters. Is always a joy to see the classic red fox go by.

Nice calling, shooting, dog, gun and garb BritSmoothy...Great Pics and congratulations on an excellent hunt.

Down here all foxes are protected ... some BS about they keep the rabbits under control. It must be true, I haven't seen 3 rabbits dead or alive in the last year. Rabbits taste better than foxes, I'm sure.

I visited my youngest brother in northern Wisc. and he spotted a red fox across a field. He stopped the truck, squeaked on his hand and called that fox about 250 yards to the ditch at the side of the truck. It got about 3 yards from the truck door before it spooked. They may be sly but this one was dumb .. or hungry.

Patocazador said:
Down here all foxes are protected ... some BS about they keep the rabbits under control. It must be true, I haven't seen 3 rabbits dead or alive in the last year. Rabbits taste better than foxes, I'm sure.

I visited my youngest brother in northern Wisc. and he spotted a red fox across a field. He stopped the truck, squeaked on his hand and called that fox about 250 yards to the ditch at the side of the truck. It got about 3 yards from the truck door before it spooked. They may be sly but this one was dumb .. or hungry.
Hungry, no rabbits!
:thumbsup:

That fox has a certain amount of gray in it. Are there different subspecies of fox in the UK?
And...nice fox.

Of course I do not speak for brit, but that fox looks about right.
I speak from having a tanned hide from a local, to me, fox right here in front of me. There is a little bit of colour variation between area & individuals, also time of year but that one of brits could be the litter mate by colour of the one I have in front of me here in Australia.
The Australian population was introduced from England in 1845 & is now a major pest here. Current population estimates are at 7.2 million :hmm: I would say that is rather conservative because they are like cats & rats, in that for every one you do see, there are at least three more that you don't see.
O.

19 16 6 said:
Of course I do not speak for brit, but that fox looks about right.
I speak from having a tanned hide from a local, to me, fox right here in front of me. There is a little bit of colour variation between area & individuals, also time of year but that one of brits could be the litter mate by colour of the one I have in front of me here in Australia.
The Australian population was introduced from England in 1845 & is now a major pest here. Current population estimates are at 7.2 million :hmm: I would say that is rather conservative because they are like cats & rats, in that for every one you do see, there are at least three more that you don't see.
O.

Correct :hatsoff:
We only have the red fox over here and they don't cross.
We get little ones, big ones, dark nearly black and very pale ginger ones.
They eat everything and gotta go!
No bag limits. Day or night shooting.

B.

Late getting back too! Outstanding job guy. Can't wait to see ;you in your new fox tail hat! :wink:

Back