• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

measuring points on a deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
i recently noticed that some people in other states seem to measure how many points are on a deer differently. are these people doing it wrong or is it different depending on the state?

in WA state you measure how many points a deer is based on a single antler. if the deer has 3 points on each side, its a 3 pointer. if the deer has 3 on one side and 2 on the other its still a 3 pointer.

ive seen some people on other forums or videos say if its got 2 points on each side then its a 4 pointer. i figured maby its a difference in state law.

-Matt

Just to complicate matters some more, in Pa. a point leaglly must be 1 in. proud of the main beam. Thus two points plus the 1" brow tine equalls a leagle deer. This is one side only.
Western Pa. must have 4 points. BJH

In illinois you can kill 2 bucks and unlimited does and thers no size restrictions on bucks, you can shoot a 90lb button buck if you want to.

In my part of the world each point gets counted. For it to be called a point you have to be able to hang a ring on it. Thats just tradition around here. :idunno:

Nope,, not a law,,just how it's done,East /West.
In camp,, if you can hang a ring on it,it counts. Now state law as to what is a legal buck is different,,1" minimum, DIFW don't care about your ring.

I've heard it defined as Eastern/Western count. I guess my state is on the borderline. The northern part uses Western count (points on one side, excluding the eye guard). The central and southern part uses Eastern count (every point counts, including eye guards).

When defined by law, they go into a very detailed description on number of points per side, and length of a point etc. There is no wording such as "8 point", or "three pointers", "forked horn", or "button buck". Bill

Up here we used to count one side, usualy the larger but now we usually give both counts such as 4x5 or 6x6, weather or not to count the brow tines on a mulie is a big argument!

We do it right here in Oklahoma.
Antlers......BOOM !
No Antlers.... BOOM !
2 Antlers....BOOM, BOOM !
4 No Antlers... BOOM, BOOM. BOOM, BOOM !

I measure a buck by weight i could care less whats on its head. i can't eat antlers ill take a doe if i draw a tag. i did this year ill happily shoot the first dear i see and be thankful

War Hawk said:
Up here we used to count one side, usualy the larger but now we usually give both counts such as 4x5 or 6x6, weather or not to count the brow tines on a mulie is a big argument!

Right, some of those big mule deer don't even have brow tines. I remember my dad killed a huge old buck, but it was actually a forked horn. Just two points on each side, but he was still a monster with a widespread massive rack.

All the people I've ever hunted with, including myself, put more emphasis on body size, rather than number of points. We measure a good deer by how many packages of burger we get. Bill

+4 on the burger...many times have passed up a smallish buck to get to the fat doe at the end of the pack....

Shine said:
i could care less whats on its head.

i enjoy not being in jail and or paying huge fines.

antlers arent the most important thing for me either but most areas in WA have point restrictions. this means i need to pay close attention too whats on the deers head. my current area requires 4 points (on one side). this has made the hunt very difficult as counting the points on a deer 60 yards away in early morning twilight is tough!

snowdragon said:
War Hawk said:

Right, some of those big mule deer don't even have brow tines. I remember my dad killed a huge old buck, but it was actually a forked horn. Just two points on each side, but he was still a monster with a widespread massive rack.

All the people I've ever hunted with, including myself, put more emphasis on body size, rather than number of points. We measure a good deer by how many packages of burger we get. Bill

No one I hunt with or know counts the browtine on a Muley, except for scoring. (if you are into scoring :stir: )

I saw a very large bodied 2x4 this week. His body didn't fit his antlers, which is kind backwards around here. :idunno:

I wish we could take a doe for meat. But doe tags are a special draw (and the fact that our muley herd is on the decline) so I won't take a doe.

Around here we count one side, as stated by another poster, whether or no to count the eyeguards, if any, is up for debate. :hmm:

To keep it standard, I use what B&C or P&Y uses in their scoring. It is used as a standard and then those that know about scoring, know exactly what you are referring to.

Back