• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Methods to melt scrap lead?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try to do that next time I hope my roofer buddy comes through on some lead boots and flashing so I can practice more

Great information, especially about starting lead in an empty pot and then bringing it up to temp.
I learned that by surprise - very fortunately, I did not get hurt - when I added a chunk of old lead pipe to a pot of molten lead. What was I thinking? Probably not much. The piece, only two inches long, turned into a "gun" for melted lead. There was a "pop" and the end of the pipe still out of the melt shot a gout of lead like a bullet.
Luckily, it was pointed away from me and no one else was around.
Never did that again.
I use a second hand cast iron pot for a container and either an old plumber's furnace or a Coleman Handy Gas Plant for heat.
Pete

Zonie said:
The lead I have is mostly sheet lead so I don't have any concerns about moisture in it.
If I did have some lead that might have moisture in it I would heat up the oven and bake it for an hour at 350 degrees.

I don't worry too much about lead sheeting or cable sheathing. I have recovered a lot of lead pipe and lead sewer pipe. With that stuff I always go with a cold melt. The stuff is usually crushed up and I never know what is in there.

I really would not want to heat the sewer pipe in an oven. It was bad enough being around it when it was melting. :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back