• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mexia, TX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oudoceus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There will be a "Civil War Living History and Re-enactment" in Mexia, TX on April 12th-13th. Call (254) 472-0959 for information.

Is this the one at the Confederate Reunion Grounds just East of Mexia on Hwy-84 towards the lake? If so, thanks for the reminder! I usually miss it due to work, but hope to make it this year.

And for those who are not from Texas, the name of that town is pronounced Ma-Hay-Uh, not Mex-E-Uh. :hatsoff:

I don't know any more about this event. I saw it listed in the electric co-op magazine and thought I would help get the word out. Maybe I will see some of you there! :grin:

Not according to the folks who live there.

It reminds me of an old joke. You may have heard it. Anyway, two guys are driving through Texas and the subject of how to pronounce the name of the next town, Mexia. One says that they correct way to pronounce it is Mex-E-Uh. The other says the correct pronounciation is Ma-Hay-Uh. So they decide to settle the argument by stopping at the first place in Mexia and asking how to correctly pronounce the name. They stop and ask the blonde at the counter how to pronounce the name of the place where they were but do it slowly so they could get it right. She looks at them and says "Da-Re Queeeeeeen".

Oh, I fully understand what the correct Spanish pronunciation ought to be. But ought to be and is are not necessarily the same. For instance look at how the town in Indiana pronounces Versailles. The French pronounce it Ver-Si. The Hoosiers who live in Versailles, Indiana pronounce it Ver-Sails. If you are in Indiana and ask where Ver-Si is, they will look at you with a blank stare. But if you ask for directions to Ver-Sails, you will get the directions that you are looking for. The correct pronunciation is whatever the locals say it is. Therefore, Mexia is correctly pronounced Ma-Hay=Uh in Texas. In Mexico it would be pronounced differently but the rub is, it ain't in Mexico, it's in Texas. :haha: :thumbsup:

Just wait til Claude tries to wrap is tongue around Refugio or Falfurrias! :thumbsup: :rotf:

I spent two years working in that town. Y'all are wasting your time trying to figure out how to pronounce it, cause if you go around and ask 5 residents, you will get 4 different answers. I won't post my opinion of the place, cause there are some good people there and I don't want to insult them, but lets say I wouldn't recommend moving there. Lets just say that the zip code is very appropriate, and is 76667, notice the 666? Lets just say it fits on several levels. And if this event was actually being held inside the city limits, I wouldn't even consider going.

If you think those two places will give him a hard time, how 'bout the difference in pronunciation of Nacogdoches, Texas and Natchitoches, Louisiana. Two different towns with similar spellings but totally different pronunciations. :hmm: Just goes to show you that 'tain't always what you think it ought to be. :haha:

Ouch!!! That's harsh. But, I've never lived nor worked there. So, I can't say whether it is too harsh or not. :idunno: I'll agree that 666 in the zip code just doesn't bode well for them. :( However, on the plus side, they do have Wal-Mart, Whataburger and Economy Inn. :haha:

Interesting, the site next to it is the Booker T. Washington, park.

The most two (2) famous Mexia residents are Allen Stanford (Ponzie scheme fame for $38 Billion, which I lost a lot on money to) and Anna Nichole Smith.

Actually the folks in the story was not two (2) guys but two elderly couples who stopped at the Dairy Queen after arguing.

Palestine is pronounced 2 different ways depending if your are local or from out of state.

Yeah, yeah. Okay, :bow: it was two older couples in my story, too. But just the guys were talking and the wives were listening but not joining in. There, I fixed it. :rotf:

Everybody in Texas knows that the only correct pronunciation for Palistine, Texas is Pala-Steen not Pala-Stine. Both are in Holy Lands. Pala-Steen is a city in Anderson County, Texas, and Pala-Stine is a geographic region in Western Asia between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River. And that's the truth. :thumbsup: :haha:

"But just the guys were talking and the wives were listening but not joining in. There, I fixed it."

You must associate with different folks than I know, wives listening and not joining in.

My wife knows when to keep her pie hole shut........... Good Lord! Whatever you do, don't tell her I said that. Just having said that has got me to flinching and darting my eyes around. No, I am absolutely not hen pecked.......but I do have a few hen house ways. :rotf:

Subject change before one of us gets into trouble, you going to come to Brady in June?

Billnpatti said:
My wife knows when to keep her pie hole shut........... Good Lord! Whatever you do, don't tell her I said that. Just having said that has got me to flinching and darting my eyes around. No, I am absolutely not hen pecked.......but I do have a few hen house ways. :rotf:
Patti! OH, Patti!! :wink: :rotf:

I would like to but the problem is one of financial considerations. I am too old to be sleeping on the ground in a tent and I don't have a "tin teepee" and the cost of a motel for the length of time I would be there is a bit prohibitive. Perhaps I could drive over for a day and then back to my "home roost" for the night.

Billnpatti said:
I would like to but the problem is one of financial considerations. I am too old to be sleeping on the ground in a tent and I don't have a "tin teepee" and the cost of a motel for the length of time I would be there is a bit prohibitive. Perhaps I could drive over for a day and then back to my "home roost" for the night.

Understand.

If you can make it for the day I shoot on the east end, spot 70 to 73 or so.

Not sure if Marvin will make it or not, he canceled out for Phoenix last month. Brady will dry up when Marvin cannot make it. Only caps in Phoenix was Tip Curtis at $12.00/100.

Back