• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mexia, TX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good GA-RIEF!!!! :shocked2: $12/100 for caps ???? :confused: I bought my last caps when I was in Friendship and paid $46/1,000 and thought that was high. A couple months ago, we were in Tulsa visiting our daughter and her family. My son in law and I went to Cabela's and they had blister packs of Remington #11 caps for something a bit over $5/100. I should have bought several cans while I was there. We will most likely be going back later this month and I will make it a point to go there and take another look at their prices for caps. If they are close to the prices that I saw there the last time, I am going to buy as many as they will let me have.

Sadly it was Tip Curtis and he was the only one in Phoenix shoot with caps.

Robbery, all I can say.

Well, when you say Ma-hay-uh with a deep east Texas drawl, Mahair is the way it sounds. But, no matter how anyone mauls the pronounciation with their drawl, it will always be Ma-hay-uh.

We were hunting in East Texas and ran out of stove and lantern fuel. There was no place to buy any so we decided to substitute white gas for the regular stove fuel. We went to a gas station and a sweet young lady came out to our car and asked if she could help us. We asked if they had any white gas. She said that she didn't know and then turned to her dad and yelled "Hey daidy, do we have any wat gaase?" You gotta watch out for those deep east Texas drawls.

Billnpatti said:
Well, when you say Ma-hay-uh with a deep east Texas drawl, Mahair is the way it sounds. But, no matter how anyone mauls the pronounciation with their drawl, it will always be Ma-hay-uh.
That's okay, considering that they probably wrap their burritos in a tor-tay-uh. :wink:

Even so, it is better than the way folks in Indiana pronounced tortilla. We lived there for 11 years and tortilla was frequently pronounced Tor-te-ul-yah. They may have pronounced tortilla in a funny way but they were the dearest, sweetest folks in the world and we miss all of them.

I guess deep East Texican creeps all the way over to Corsicana.

Dang, didn't even realize it.

No, they speak Corsicanese which is a variation of Deep East Texan sort of like American English is a variation of British English. They may talk funny but they are still real Texans.

About pronunciation:

My father-in-law (deceased) was from the Brady area and always said "Guac-a-ma-le" instead of "Guac-a-mO-le."

Talking about Brady, I went to several annual shoots several years ago (when I could see better) but still couldn't compete with those shooters down there.

At one time, Marvin was the only known source of blackpowder in North Texas, and I made at least one trip over to his place West of Wichita Falls to get some. He would be missed at Brady, for sure.

I learned a lot about this sport on those trips and especially from John Hinnant. I have the itch to try to make Brady again this year. If one of you could PM some information, I would appreciate it.

I will look for the TMLA and re-join. In fact, I think I received some e-mails earlier this year from the Association.

I hate to disappoint you, but Anna Nicole Smith wasn't born or raise in Mexia. She moved there as a teenager and was "discovered" while working at the local fried chicken place. The town got credit, but it isn't her home town.

"Brady" TMLRA.com

UPCOMING SHOOT DATES:
State Championship Shoot June 10-15

John L., a most informative person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lonegun1894 said:
I hate to disappoint you, but Anna Nicole Smith wasn't born or raise in Mexia. She moved there as a teenager and was "discovered" while working at the local fried chicken place. The town got credit, but it isn't her home town.

If I was with the city, I would not claim either one of them.

Latest posts

Back