• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Michael in Austin and Round Top

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where would I what I need to fire this thing?
Well, you'll need a couple of things, and then you'll want a few other things to make things easier.

1. You'll need Black Powder. Folks will say that you need 2F or 3F for the barrel, and 4F to prime the pan. Others will say 3F for everything. Shoot what you have, or in these times, shoot what you can find.
2. A Powder Measure. You NEVER want to dump powder down the barrel from the horn or bottle, in case there's still a hot spark in the barrel. Pour powder into the measure, and then into the barrel. You can prime the pan from the horn, but you have to be careful to only get a little in the pan. A primer is handy, as it dumps about 3 grains into the pan.
3. A Ramrod or a Range Rod. Your wooden, under-barrel ramrod is good for loading, not as good for cleaning. A brass range rod with threads at both ends will be much more versatile. Search the forum for opinions and sources.
4. Lead balls and lubed patches. Balls are sized slightly smaller than the caliber, and the gap is filled by the patch. Search the forum for lube choices.
5. A Friend to help you find where to buy these things in the Austin area.

Maybe some other shooters or Texans can offer more tips.
You're fixing to learn a whole lot of stuff. It's not hard, but your Safety is in your hands.
If something doesn't seem right, stop until you get it figured out. Once that trigger is pulled, there's no turning back.

Good luck, and keep us posted with photos.
We love photos!

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Yes it is a Jack Garner rifle. I think it’s a beautiful gun. I’m not familiar with muzzle loaders yet. What do you think a gun like this is worth these days? Of course there is no price on my sentimentality for the gun… Does Jack still make guns like this? Where would I what I need to fire this thing?
I suggest checking out the Flintlock section, members with decades of rock scratching experience are there to help.

Welcome from Florida!
Awesome rifle to start out with, or to be your primary piece forever!

Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. I second the suggestion to contact the WSB in Canyon Lake. Good crew. That's a right purty rifle. .54? Not only is it a good starter gun, it'd be a good keeper gun too. You may find rifles that are fancier, but finding one that's better built or shoots straighter than Jack's isn't very likely, at least to my way of thinking.

Back