• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Village Indian musket write up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thumbing through the Backwoodsman at the grocery store magazine rack. There is a write up about Middlesex Village tTrading's Indian musket. The author evaluated the Trade Musket. He gave it a good write up. He didn't mention unbreeching the gun, or problems like Daryl had.

I read the article, too. I even emailed the author, Jody Fraser with a couple of questions.

When I read a gun write up in a magazine I don't so much look at what is written as what isn't. Magazine authors seldom write anything bad about products that are marketed by an advertiser or potential advertiser; that's not a good business practice. The writers generally don't lie about the products though, so look for phrases like "...does not replicate any specific model of carbine or musketoon" or "You cannot expect handcrafted detail in a gun that is a fraction of the cost of a custom piece." The statement that most gets my attention though is "There are only a couple of minor flaws that do exist however, some of which are purely cosmetic and easily repairable." Are some of them not purely cosmetic, like the breach, or are some of them not so easily repairable.

At first glance this looked like a pretty good gun, but after a closer look at the details mentioned and not mentioned in the articles, I'd make sure that MVTC has a good return policy before I placed an order.

I read that article also, and had some questions myself. No I am not expecting a custom gun but others have given me cause for concern. Since they don't list that gun on there web sight. I have emailed Middlesex my questions and have had no response in two weeks.
I don't know these people, and am hoping there is some explanation for there lack of communication. But it makes me even more couscous.
All that aside I would Love to have a short handy little bruiser like that.

Hairsmith
Keep yer powder dry

I too tried to email MVTC and have had no response. I wonder what kind of company they are and would be very very leary of what kind of service they might offer after the sale. I don't think I want to deal with them now.

dont worry about the reply from mvtc taking so long, i waited a few weeks for a reply, and every question i had was answered in several paragraphs each. and the reason for taking so long is because he is now rebuilding the entire website with new products.

Alot of ppl here bad mouth Military Heritage but I called them and they answered the phone after two rings..... :results:

I ordered one of these little muskets in mid January, and it arrived 3 weeks to the day from when I placed the order (exactly when promised). This is a very robust little musket, and, at half the price of a Pedersoli, I am well pleased with it. A careful inspection raised no safety concerns. I might also mention that the couple who own Middlesex are reenactors and attend most events in their area. The fellow who constructed and maintained their website recently passed away, and they are in the process of moving to New Hampshire. All of these, I am sure, are factors in their backlog of communications.

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone. I'm explaining my personal opinions and detailing what influenced my thoughts on the matter. I was very interested in their product, but the lack of response from them, in my case, raised flags. My experience may not be typical, and I didn't say anything until I read that someone else had a similar impression.

Once is a fluke, twice is probably a coincidence, but more than that is a trend. If it is more than just a coincidence, I wouldn't want to rely on their customer service if there are any problems after the purchase. I know the price of this gun is comparatively low, but it's more than I can afford to spend on something that Ican't use.

I think if everyone who has dealt with this company in any way gives an honest account of their experience, it will give anyone who wishes to deal with them in the future an a good basis for decision making. From what I'm seeing maybe they are just to overwhelmed with emails to respond in every case.

Maybe I should've called.

I would Love to have a short handy little bruiser like that.
Since I already have a short handy little bruiser in my 42 inch length cut-down Charleville, I've been looking at a "long bruiser"; their 1717 French musket. I just prefer the .69 bore and the plain steel of French arms.
I emailed them today and got an immediate auto-reply about their current moving situation. Apparently it's a 2 hour distance between old and new locations. So their respone time is going to be very slow while the move is going on. I'm in no hurry....I can wait for a response.
WJ

As a followup to the sub-thread about the lack of response from Middlesex....
I emailed them yesterday about their 1717 Fench musket; asking price and availability.
I received an immediate auto-email explaining that they were in the process of moving and would get a reply to me as soon as they could.
Today, I received a very nice reply from Pete Plunkett. That is less than 24 hours for a personal response. It's really a very fast response time for most any online business.
Pete explained that the Christmas rush was huge this year and they are out of the 1717. But more stock will be arriving in a couple of weeks. The new ones have a slimmer, more accurate stock shape...so I'm kinda glad they are out of the old ones.
Now to explain to the wife that I really really must have one.
WJ

Military Heritage is the company I was talking about. I agree with you about Middlesex. I probably could have worded that better. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I also emailed MSVTC and never received a response. I've heard many negative things about Military heritage, so I called them and was surprised to get an answer after two rings and a knowledgeable fellow to boot. Having been dealing with gun parts places and dealers, this is a rarity, I've found.

They appear to stand behind their products and will gladly issue a refund. MSVTC, can't even answer emails in a timely manner, so I will go with MH. :results:

Yes - MilHeritage will give you a refund, but that also comes at a price. You hav eto pay shipping to and from. If you live in Ontario, it isn't bad. Live on either coast, though, and it's a $100.00 bill return mail.
: In responce to th second post in this thread, I was told by MilHeritage not to expect good machining on a comercial gun, only on custom guns. I wonder if they've ever seen a Lyman or TC breech pulled, or one of Track's breeched barrels?
: Oh, Look! Nice clean, PERFECT, PROPER SIZED and SHAPED threads, ALL the SAME HEIGHT & wonder of wonders, the SAME THREAD as was cut into the BARREL. WOW! Custom work from a comercial outfit. AMAZING but NOT possible- must be a mirage! How can this be? And almost 1/2 the price of the MilHeritage gun. Sorry for the sarcasim. BTW- Track sells smooth-bored barrels.
: On the other hand, the French guns sold by MilHeritage appear to have been made at a different place than the British guns - compare wood, etc. The Bess's are REALLY rough in comparrison. My firzzen had 1/16" deep gouges 1/8" apart, across the surface sideways, that had to be ground off before attempting to fire the lock. After being smoothed, it was an excellent sparker that DIDN'T eat flints even though the springs were much stiffer than necessary.

Hey Daryl,

Are you forgetting that bumblebees can't fly?

I think what they mean is that it would be impossible for them to improve the quality without reducing their profit.

I probably could have worded that better. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

No problem. I did want to explain for everyone to see that my opinion is based on one person's experience (i.e. my own) and may not reflect what is normal for the company. If the company is reputable and reliable and my case was a fluke, I don't want to discourage any potential customers from going to them.

OTOH since your experience matches hairsmith's and mine, it would seem that we have that trend now. :haha:

I ordered a dragoon pistol from MSTC about a year ago. It sparked well it was just to big. As for the service I could not ask for better. The owner was friendly and we had a good long conversation. He stands behind his stuff and personally inspects every gun. He will refund or exchange if not satisfied. Also if you are ordering from the states the delivery is I got mine 3 days! Im sure MSVTC is very busy right now. He is moving to the more gun friendly state of New Hampshire. Besides I like to keep my money in the U.S. and support the small business man. They are what made america not Wally World. He does import his stuff from the same place as MH. I have noticed his stock has grown considerably. Also I just noticed an Indian made Bess carbine on Track of the Wolf. :m2c:

I am glad to hear there is some explanation to the lack of communication....
It can happen to any of us.....
I am not in a big hurry, and will be looking forward to there new websight,at which time I will Look into it further.
When they get things going someone post it....

Hairsmith
Keep yer powder dry
:thumbsup:

Well, so far I've heard one good review on MH muskets and one bad. I'll take a chance and review here. :m2c:

Back