• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebuilding an old Indian made 1756 Brown Bess Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone posts things about their own gun (or whatever) on your thread. It’s extremely rude.
I was sharing my method of dealing with a India made example that most likely used the same type of wood and since he is working on correcting his India made example I thought he would appreciate an example of what can be done using different methods. No rudeness there at all. Or certainly not intended.

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to add a few coats of stain and finish to the musket, so I'll consider it "done" for now. There is still some finish work I'd like to do on the brass (especially the buttplate) and some work on the lock, but it should suffice for my brother's reenacting needs for now. I'm not 100% happy with how the stain and finish looks, not to mention it has made my mistakes much more visible! I'll likely take another go at this sometime next year - using a card scraper to give the wood a nicer texture and then taking my time and trying out some different techniques with stain and finish.

I know the bayonet is wrong for this one (1730s-40s)... but I had made it for another project and it fit perfectly on this musket. I kind of like the earlier bayonet look, so I'll keep it on this one.

Overall though, it looks a whole lot better than when it started!

Before:
1725031442417.png

After:
IMG_4167.jpgIMG_4172.jpgIMG_4185.jpgIMG_4173.jpg
IMG_4168.jpgIMG_4169.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0