• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military carbines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Who here deer/big game hunts with a military-style carbine and how do you like it in the field? Are they accurate, handier in the woods than a longrifle? Which ones are suitable for 100-yd. shots, why do you prefer and could you post any pics of their successful field performances? Thanks. Everytime I think I know what my next gun will be I find a pic on this site of another beautiful piece. Not fair to a retired guy on a fixed income, not fair at'all.

The Enfield cavalry or artillery carbines (aka musketoon) are handy in the field, and quite accurate too, depending on the manufacturer. At .58 calibre they can take care of deer quite easily. Pedersoli make one now I think.

Not taken any large game yet, nearly but not quite!

Anyway I love my musketoon, light and handy but!

They need modifying! The rear sight is generally to high and so is the comb.

I made my own rear and gave up trying to bend the stock so I removed wood from the comb and refinished the stock, perfect hunting gun now!

Mine is smoothbore and is good with shot up close too.

fridayhunt012.jpg

B.

I have no experience with military carbines, but have a lot of experience with shorter guns in the field. Since most muzzleloader hunting is done inside 100 yards and often inside 50 yards, there's no liability in terms of power. I prefer 58 caliber, but have done just dandy with 62, 54 and 50 as well.

The one thing you will notice is the shift in balance. Shorter barrels can be very light in the muzzle, which in shotgun parlance might even be called "whippy." They're certainly not something you'd take to the range and use to compete with long barrels having lots of muzzle weight. But for quick shots, especially at running game, they beat the pants off a muzzle-heavy gun.

If I added just one more gun (yeah, right) to my short gun array, it would very likely be a 58 or 54 caliber smoothbore. Plenty accurate with patched round ball, but terrific with shot, too. I have a 62 smoothie, but it's a little heavy for my tastes. A lighter version would be just right for my tastes and needs I think.

Just looking for a good hunting gun in the mountains. Not really into HC, maybe someday. Thanks for the info and pic. Why did I waste so much time on CF guns when these things are so fun? :idunno:

For several years I hunted with my 1757 Light Infantry fusil - A Bess variant of "carbine caliber and barrel length". That is: .66 cal, 42" barrel & about 9 pounds. :haha:

Definately no handier than my longrifle and a LOT less accurate.

Out to 50 yards it made a good whitetal deer gun.

Could you guys give me some recommendations on which companies, like Pedersolil, Euroarms, Armi Sport, custom shops, etc., manufacture decent military-style firearms? I'm looking at either percussion or flint (LH friendly) with barrel lengths around 36" or less. I don't know the performance difference between a musketoon, smoothbore or rifle and am not into HC. I do like the versatility of a smoothbore but would probably dedicate the gun to deer hunting in the mountains where 100 yard shots are frequent. Would like to keep the weight around 9 lbs.-- less is better -- and like sling swivels. What kind of accuracy should I expect and is it hard to find large caliber balls in stores? Thanks.

Couldn't open the Photobucket pics. Sounds like a good story. If the gun's a perc it shouldn't be a problem for a southpaw, just wondered about a flinter going off inches in front of my aiming eye. Recommendations on manufacturers? Imported or are there good stateside brands?

I'm not sure about a manufacturer, but someone here must know.

As for flint in the face, I'm a lefty too. It takes a lot more getting used to, and safety glasses. Guys will harp at you that it shouldn't make a difference, but when I finally picked up a couple of lefty flinters the difference was immediately obvious.

Now I get to have all the fun handing the same guys my lefty flinters and telling them shooting a lefty right handed doesn't make any difference. The shoe on the other foot is no more uncomfortable than it is for us lefties!!! :rotf:

I think Pedersoli are well made; they are my favourite repros. However if you can get your hands on a Parker Hale Enfield musketoon, it is a cut above in my opinion.

Nearly all military guns of the 18th early 19th century are smoothbore which will not do much good for the long shots, most consider them to be practical out to around 50 yds for hunting, the short barrels are no advantage from my experience, I get around as well with a 44" gun as a 36" in the heavy cover and the longer sighting plane is a real plus IMHO, using a longer gun is just a matter of acclimation

I have the English made Parker-Hale Musketoon I got in 1974. It is Awesome!

While reading the Dixie Gun Works catalog it mentioned the Euroarms version has the same barrel specs. as Parker-Hale. That is the BBL in the Musketoon and 2 band rifle (33"BBL) have progressive rifling.

Euroarms also make the Murry carbine which I have always liked the looks of. 22"BBL and .58cal.

I was just on the DGW site and looking at the military guns of Pedersoli, Euroarms and Parker-Hale trying to figure out how they compared. I noticed that most models seemed to have rifling and a few sported sights with elevations out to 700-800, even 1,000, yards! I saw on YouTube some of these kinds of guns being shot out to about 800 yds. with surprising accuracy. I'm interested and appreciate the info you all have given. Won't complain if you want to post more pics.

Back