• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military or Civilian for Hunting and Targets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Two simple questions: which type of smoothbore is best for taget work and hunting, military (Bess, Charleville, etc.) or civilian (Tulle, Type C or D, trade gun) and why (weight, style of stock, caliber, etc.)?
Thanks.

While my avatar might suggest otherwise, the best gun for target, general shooting and hunting is one of the early fowlers. My fowler is an Early American Fowler from Jack Garner. He still builds a few and Matt and Toni Avance are building new ones as TVM.

My fowler is a 20 gauge. All the wood is nice and slim and the 42 inch barrel is very nimble to use. The octagon to round configuration is light and the whole gun weighs about 7 pounds. I have done fairly well in competition and in the field.

fowler.jpg

For accuracy's sake you must remember that this is a smoothbore. Your eye is the rear sight and you shoot over the barrel and not down the barrel. You should see some barrel between the breech and the front sight.

Mike

A lot of the answers are subjective and personal to the individual shooter. Not sure what kind of "target" shooting you intend since smoothbores aren't the way to go for serious target competition. If you mean the fun "target" shooting kind where evil pop cans get what they deserve, then they're all fun.

As far as hunting goes, the same is true. Have had fun with nearly all you've named at one time or other. The military muskets have larger locks and hammers with the slightly longer hammer fall time. For knocking limb chickens out of the oak tree any will do. If you use a Bess, etc. on pass shooting just remember to follow through...repeat...follow through!! It's not a terribly long period but it can mean the difference between a hit and a shower of tail feathers.

My recommendation is to try to find examples of as many as you can and test the feel and swing to see if you like them. Good luck. :m2c:

Well I ain't saying that the Grenadier is wrong, but boy my Brown Bess carbine with rifle sights sure has served me well!!!

She's accurate and powerful with ball, and shoots VERY tight patterns with shot.

To try and answer some of your "whys", I'd say my carbine is light, at 8.25 pounds, caliber at .75" gives you all the power you could want or need, and the big bore also throws either large amounts of shot into tight patterns, or you can load a small amount of shot over a light powder charge, to get a very nice pattern on game such as grouse, and not burn any more powder and lead than a 20 gauge bore. As far as style of stock, I think they all have nice big, flat butt plates...Bess sure does!

Probably can't go wrong no matter what ya choose!

Rat

I'll stay with this topic. Accuracy in a smoothbore is mainly a matter of degrees. Most smoothbores will only have some sort of aiming point near the muzzle. The fowler has a turtle sort of bump and my First Model Land Pattern musket (Bess) has a wide bayonette lug. Rear sights are not uncommon on the original smoothbore trade guns, but are not allowed in most competitions.

My answer was to offer a choice to do it all. Accuracy of a pie plate at about 50 yards, round ball and shot. Since my Loyalist Arms Bess weighs 14 pounds, it not something that one wants to carry to the field. Follow through is a prime lesson we all need to listen to. Load adjustment and paper shot cups will help in the development of a tight shot pattern.

If you can find guns to put to your shoulder, the best choice is to try them for fit. The thrill of making a choice is still yours.

I think the answer to this must be : it is individual firearm dependent more than type of gun dependent...that said, for hunting I would prefer an English/American fowler or light fusil (such as the Tulle fusil de chasse)because of ease of carry and hold or swing over the heavier military muskets. The accuracy of the individual gun then depends on (1) a straight barrel, (2) proper loads (patch/ball/charge) and (3) learning where to "hold" ("aim" being to precise a word with a gun w/o rear sights!). :m2c:

Thanks for the replies. When I said target work, what I meant, and failed to say, was for use in NMLRA-sanctioned smoothbore matches. It appears alot of consideration lies with weight of the gun. If that's the case, I guess lots of people may prefer the civilian type for competition as well?

I'd have to go with the hunting gun. I've owned both a french style fusil and currently an English style fowler and a smoothrifle. For me they just seem to be more comfortable to shoot. Not to say those who hunt and live fire their Brown Bess' cannot get the job done. A friend of mine hunts strictly with his bess and does well. I just prefer the lighter gun, some will prefer a heavier barrel for target shooting. In the long run I suppose it is a matter of personal choice. :results:

Back