• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Millitary Heritage wrist broken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Musket grain is when the grain runs across the wrist. I was told (many years ago) that the term came about because gun makers, in an effort to keep the cost of muskets, down often used marginal wood. And such a stock, if used to deliver a vertical butt stroke, would likely break at the wrist. I've also heard it called run-out and cross grain. This same type of problem that will cause a ramrod to snap.

Thanks guys, I am familiar with run out and cross grain,etc. and with the concept of correctly orienting the grain for maximum strength in the wrist area, I have just never heard the phrase "musket grain" before. Makes sense now, especially with Russ T.'s statement.

Musketman said:
I am wondering if Rosewood is prone to splitting and cracking?

Here is the low-down on India Rosewood...

Please Click Here

A historically accurate "fix" would be to stretch and sew in place a wet leather band, as it dries it shrinks and pulls tight...

Use rawhide not leather. Stretched, wet rawhide shrinks as it drys but leather doesn't. You can get good rawhide from those dog's chew toys you see in the supermarket. Just soak it in a bucket of water over night.

Back